1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sellsinc, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sellsinc

sellsinc Thread Starter

does anybody know how to make my keyboard work using a usb o ps/2 plug? my computer doesnt reconize it? please hlp

2. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

When posting, please give a summary description of your problem in the title. It helps the helpers.

3. sellsinc

sellsinc Thread Starter

sorry but can u help me please

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Make sure connections are good and maybe try a different USB port . Reboot and see how you go . It would help to know what kind of machine you are running . Laptop or desktop , for a start ...

5. sellsinc

sellsinc Thread Starter

its a dell optiplex gx280 desktop. i have tried different usb ports and nothing works. my keyboard is a dell rt7d20

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

The only thing I can suggest is to get a USB keyboard , to be honest .

7. sellsinc

sellsinc Thread Starter

i got a pug that is suppse to be for that do the plug not work?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Try a different PS/2 keyboard.
    Try a different USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
    Try the current PS/2 adapter on another computer.
    Have the PS/2 ports on this particular computer ever worked?
    Are you sure you've connected the keyboard to the correct port on the motherboard?
    Are you sure you're using a keyboard USB-to-PS/2 adapter and not a mouse adapter?

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Keep in mind that the keyboard has to be designed to work with both USB and PS/2 interfaces. The adapter converts the physical plug, but the communication protocol is very different between USB and PS/2, so the keyboard itself has to be designed to work with both types of interfaces.

Many new USB keyboards will work on a PS/2 port, but I suspect that older PS/2 keyboards like that Dell just won't work with USB -- it wasn't designed for it.

Jerry

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice