1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need hi-speed USB 2.0 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanh, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

My ASUS P4PE-X m'board is USB 2.0 ready, but is WIN 98SE ready for USB 2.0? ASUS posts a download "OrangeWare/Intel® USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver" in their WIN98 WIN ME section of th ewebsite, , but includes no info or instructions. Is it possible that I do not have to get an add-on PCI Hi-speed USB card, jst install a WIN 98 driver for the Intel 845PE chipset?

2. putasolution

putasolution

All you need to do is to unzip the file, owich4usb2v1_03.zip, using a program such as Winzip

When you have unzipped it, double click on the set up file

DRIVER INSTALLATION NOTE

1. Extract the driver files to a directory on your hard disk.
    2. Start the “Add New Hardware” wizard in Control Panel. (Click Start/Settings/Control Panel).
    3. Select “Specify the location of the driver” and click “Next”.
    4. Select “Specify Location”.
    5. Click on the “Browse” button and select the directory where you saved the driver.
    6. Click “Next” to install the driver.
    7. Click “Finish” after the driver installation is complete.

(from the setup notes)

3. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Putasolution, thanks for the very clear instructions. Will try tonight.

Are there any prep steps I should take like removing my USB 1.1 devices from safe mode, or enabling/disabling anything in BIOS, such as USB legacy support? Or will this install take care of stuff like that?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When installing USB hub drivers, first disconnect ALL USB devices from the system. Sometimes the driver install gets confused if you have devices or even hubs plugged in.

5. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Roger that, Johnwill.

6. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Well, quite a mess results if one literally follows the Orange Micro/ Intel Readme instructions.

What finally seemed to worked is :
    1. Download the file owich4usb2v1_03.zip
    2. Extract the zip file to a folder
    3. Open that folder. Ignore what the readme says, pay attention to what the release notes say.
    4. Run the setup.exe file in that folder. It then creates and distributes the drivers. Do not click on restart of the computer yet.
    5. WIN 98SE immediately autodetects "new hardware" and finds the driver files you just distributed. Upon reboot you find you have new Enhanced USB 2.0 Host controller abd Hub. However there are still 3 older PCI to USB host controllers as well on my machine
    See attached.

Questions;
    1. How do I know if I really have USB 2.0 capability?
    2. If I remove the 3 PCI to USB vintage devices, will my USB 1.1 [I think] Mouse, Keyboard, and Compq A3000 printer still work ? Work faster? 2.0 is supposed to be compatible with 1.1 devices?
    3. Does Anyone know of a test progam that tests US 2.0 readiness under WIN 98SE?? Actually tests data transfer rate?

Attached Files:

7. putasolution

putasolution

Personally I would leave the controllers there as I imagine that the PCI card is still there

The fact that you are showing a USB 2.0 Root Hub in Device Manager tells you that you have a USB 2.0 device installed, therefore USB 2.0 capability

Your old devices will still work in the USB 2.0 HUb but at the same speed as before. The devices have to be capable of operating at 2.0 speeds to take advantage of it, hence backwards compatibility

I believe SiSoft Sandra (6.85Mb Shareware) has the ability to check USB 2.0 capabilities

8. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Puta solution: Thanks, again. Never heard about the SiSoft tool and it is great! It confirmed that my USB 2.0 controller is there, has 6 ports, and has no devices installed on them. Shows my mouse, kybd and printer are all USB 1.1 devices and are each connected to one of the 3 USB 1.1 hosts, each of which have 2 ports.

There actually is no PCI USB card in my machine, and was not under the old system either. The USB hardware is , I think, built into the ASUS P4PE-X m'board. My guess is that when I brought up the new m'board/P4 Processor under WIN 98, before I discovered the Orangeware/Intel USB 2.0 driver at the ASUS website, that it automatically or with my inept guidance installed the standard USB 1.1 drivers found in my Windows 98sE folders/CD. Does that sound right?

What bugs me is that I think I've tried removing these legacy usb hosts both from Wibdows normal and Safe modes, and yet they keep getting detected and installed by Windows at boot. Maybe not since getting the 2.0 host fully up, though.

I noticed an option to disable Legacy USB in my BIOS. If I disable it there and remove the USB 1.1 hosts from safe mode, having connected PS/2 mouse and kybd, do you think I can get rid of the old hosts and in the next steps have the 3 USB 1.1 devices driven by the USB 2.0 host only? Is this risking something bad? :confused: :p :)

9. putasolution

putasolution

I'll be honest, Alanh I wouldn't bother. Turning off USB in support may not be a good idea, . They aren't taking any resources, so just think of the USB1.0 ports as spare and an added bonus,

10. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

I'll take that that advice. No harm, no foul. Having installed an external USB 2.0 CD burner as a test and having seen it work as well as be verified by SiSoft as being on on of the USB 2.0 ports, I'm pretty confident that the machine is 2.0 ready for some hi-speed video I/O.

Thanks again :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice