1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need honest opinions about Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by telecom69, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

For me XP has been just great,by far the best O/S I have ever had,but Ive had so many problems lately with it encountering problems and shutting down,Ive wondered if Microsoft has sent us updates that make it act that way,so that we will have to go for Vista,its unlikely I know,that they have done this,but I can find no other reason for XP acting this way as its always been so stable and reliable .....anyway the new computer will have I have decided to get will have Vista as its operating system ....just how do you rate it compared with XP,? honestly please .....

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

Everyone experiences Vista in very different ways. If your PC is pretty new, then you will enjoy the way Vista looks. If not, you should just stop there.

Next thing is what will you use it for? If you'd only be using it to surf the web and type things up, then it will be just like XP. Maybe a little slower, because Vista is a lot bigger and uses more resources. If you are a photographer or a writer or anything that could deal with multimedia, then you will definitely enjoy Vista, because it has a lot of those features built in. And if you're a gamer or just someone that likes to mess around with their PC a lot, then you also will enjoy Vista, again for it's long list of features.

A lot of people experienced problems with Vista when it first came out, but that was usually those who upgraded from older computers and were having trouble with compatibility. If your PC is new, and comes with Vista already on it, it is unlikely you will have any compatibility issues. It should be a smooth experience.

And from my own personal experiences, I love Vista. I have Vista Ultimate, and I think it is Microsoft's greatest creation to date. Everything is so organized so that even the most basic user can get things done, and at the same time, the advanced user doesn't feel dumbed down. The graphics are great too. Vista is full of eye candy, which at first I didn't like, but it really does grow on you. So in all, I'd definitely recommend Vista.

Hope this helps.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I got a new computer in June of 2007 with Vista on it. I considered going back to XP in October of 2007 due to issues I was having with WMDC and syncing my PDA, but stuck it out.

Make sure your software is up to date. Do not bother with Vista Basic, get at least Home Premium.

Vista is better than XP.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am new to Vista myself. I have been a fan of Windows XP, and still like it. Though the more Ilearn about Vista the more I am beginning to like it too. Getting used to it is the hardest part for me so far. It does have features that XP doesn't have or does have but are refined in Vista that I like as well.I have so far found on a coupleof programs that I wanted to use that would not run in Vista, though that could be because I haven't learned how to make them work in Vista yet. (admittedly they are older versions of programs that do have versions designed to work with Vista, but I haven't been able to afford the new version). I also have to point out that When I got this computer it was designed to run Vista, but didnt have enough Ram to run Vista. It now does and I really have had no problems with it. Also note that I am running Vista Home Basic at the moment. I will upgrade to at least Home Premium in the near future though.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I use them side by side every day and for the things I do which involve some productivity refinements and local network peer to peer parsing, XP runs away with the prize like a jet plane from a jalopy, and the XP SP3 systems, which by the way run more stable and faster than ever with the updates (so you definitely have some other issue(s) going on), in no way get outperformed in just about every other category either, the sole exception I've found possibly being erroneous DEP resolution. XP sucks there but Vista doesn't seem to suffer the same problem.

On a new system it may be the wisest course of action to get Vista since the pendulum of compatibility is swinging to Vista and not XP so you would have to get a system that you knew you could aquire XP drivers for or limit yourself to those that will preload it or offer it in a package as a so called downgrade option, the time for which that option is available has now been extended to the OEMs, until July of 09 I believe.

6. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

Depends on how you use a computer but the average user does not need to switch IMO. Most people are using Vista because they bought a computer with it already installed.

7. telecom69

Many thanks to everyone for their replies,I have found them most helpful indeed...Im even looking forward now in a way to seeing how it goes :) as I said I have just loved XP but this last year its given so many problems with "encountering a problem" and shutting down (almost always when working with photos) which I spend most of my time on,its all became a bit too much of a nightmare at times:( I did at one time think about,I wonder if I could format and start all over again,but no disk was supplied from new,except for a driver disk on a floppy,and for which I have no drive, (couldnt believe that one :D)

I will post back when I am up and running with Vista to let you know what I think,if anyone is interested that is :D

Thank you all again,your input is greatly appreciated (y):)

8. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

I love this topic, because I genuinely have had a fair amount of experiences with both. I love xp, and it is the operating system I have been using the most for a very long time. I built my new computer and it was the first operating system to go on it. I love that XP is pretty stable, compatiable, and stream lined. From what I had seen of Vista I didn't like all the eye candy. Xp was simple and elegant IMO.

Then Xp died on me when a registry cleaner went bad and I figured it was time to jump to vista 64 bit and give it a try (why not, my data was gone anyway). Now that I have vista, I don't plan on going back to xp ever again. Vista is much faster and far more powerfull. I have a pretty high end computer, so this will probably not be the case with everybody, but so far I am very impressed.

For one thing Direct x10 makes a huge difference. Not just in games, in general. My graphics card can do more neat things with pictures, video, ect because it has the more powerfull code to work with. Image quality is amazing on my crappy crt, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when my new monitor comes in.

If you do get vista, definitely go for 64 bit if you have a powerfull system. The difference is speed is impressive. There seems to be less tweaking ability to vista then xp, and it does take up a lot of hard drive space by comparison. You can't really set a partition with 64 bit, as it can hog a good half of the average hard drive by itself (as much as 35gigs some times). However, drive space is pretty cheap these days and new drivers are being improved for vista all the time. Anyway, my point is that when you try vista, I don't think you will be disapointed.

9. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

I love vista you just need a computer that will run it, for example when I first got my laptop I only had 1GB of Ram and it was really slow but I upgraded to 2Gb of ram it runs perfect just make sure to turn off UAC that is annoying

10. telecom69

Many thanks mothergoose729 for your input appreciate it (y)

11. telecom69

Neve realised it might need that much memory for it to run satisfactorily, what is UAC ? thanks for your input :)

12. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

1GB is sufficient, but 2GB to have a smooth ride. If you need help picking out hardware, I can help you out.

Every time an administrative task is performed on your computer (firewall settings change, files being copy and pasted into important directories, etc), your computer enters in Secure Desktop Mode (where your computer basically is frozen and only the UAC prompt is shown. This is to prevent other programs from interfering), and the UAC prompt appears, asking if you'd like to Allow or Deny the action.

I have it disabled because back in the day, I practically pressed allow 50 times per day. Now it's much better, probably 1-3 per day because my laptop has it enabled. If you're kind of geeky, you can check out this interesting article too
    http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/10/08/user-account-control.aspx

13. telecom69

Thanks for posting (y)appreciate what you have said,and your offer of help, new computer is due for delivery today hopefully (we will see :D) I will see how it performs and may get back to you in a few days if I need any help ...thanks again ......

Good link by the way,just had a quick look,lots to read of course will have a look at it later ......

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Though XP was one of the best and most solid OS's I ever used (I even suspected that MS had made it too good, making it so people wouldn't ever want to upgrade), now that I'm used to Vista, I now think it is the best.

It took a while for me to get used to it, and I made many changes to the GUI and some of its functionality to suit myself, but it has proven to be just as solid and reliable as XP (especially after SP1 for Vista). It has its quirks, but they are manageable, just as they were with XP.

No one will claim that Vista boots fast. It is a very slow boot process, and even slower at times when self-diagnostics and disk scanning take place. So you have time to go for coffee (to the next room, not to town) and that is only an inconvenience when you are in a hurry. I don't care.

Overall, Vista is well worth getting. XP is now pretty old and doesn't even support SATA drives (natively) as well as much of the newest hardware. It's time to move on. Qui non proficit, deficit. "Who does not move forward, falls behind."

Fact is that if you dislike something about Vista (NT 6.0), you can tweak and change until you would have a hard time telling that it wasn't XP. It is XP (NT 5.1), with stuff added and updated. It is still NT.

But I don't believe that XP was ever sabotaged, so you may want to get to the bottom of your problems if you keep the old machine. Hardware wears out, too, and you may have disk or memory problems (or even dust) at the root of your difficulties.

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I run 2 Vista Home Premium, and 2 XP computers here (home office).

Vista is the better of the two, once you get through the "where is it" stage, which was about 2 days for me.

Incredibly stable so far (1 year) I don't recall any BSOD's and it recognises devices that XP would not.

Only one program would not run, but it was dodgy in XP as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice