1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need info on best antivirus software for macbook pro and Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by iagoman, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iagoman

iagoman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    I started to install Office for the Mac on my 2015 model Macbook Air. Problems occurred and the telephone
    number on the "redeem card" connected me to help for installation.
    After a 18 minute connection where my computer was accessed by this service, I was told I had 153 files that were junk and need to be removed. If I opted for the $349.00 I would have protection for life for anti hacking tools, optimization, anti trojan kit, email protection, 128 bit total security etc etc etc.
    I did not go for it and am wondering if this could be legit? I was also told that the software I purchased, "Office" would never have to be re-purchased since their service would keep it active for life.
    Sounds too good to be true or not?
    Iagoman

2. tomg35

tomg35

Where did you buy the office product?

Ways to buy office (presuming it's a Microsoft office) is

• a one off payment which will give you updates and support for the life of that version
    • monthly. Updates and support till you stop paying then the product stops working and you can just view files and do basic editing or
    • annual same as monthly but might be a bit cheaper
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/office-for-mac-3456798/

$349 is a hell of a lot of money even for lifetime - This techradar link gives you an idea of prices and what you get https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-mac-antivirus-software

First step is to download a free anti virus package from their selection and also malwarebytes for mac and do a full scan of your system in case they have put something onto your machine you don't want.

Junk files are common on a system and not usually a threat, just take up space. Personally i wouldn't touch their offer with a barge pole

3. Heuchera

Heuchera

It sounds an awful lot like ransomware to me. I went to find the link to login a common site and ended up with a call to customer service and they wanted to access my computer to see what's wrong. Since this is not an entirely unusual request that I've encountered in the past, I agreed. They tried to download software to do this but thankfully my Mac wouldn't allow this. Apparently the person thought I'd already installed it and immediately asked for money to help me. It was at this point I realized how closely I'd come to a complete hack job.
    Next time I do a search I'll take a closer look at the web address before clicking.
    Now instead of paying, go get the open source LibreOffice or FreeOffice 2018. I have Libre and it's almost identical to MS Office 2003 with drop-down menus and the ability to customize toolbars.
    I've also been reading a lot about FreeOffice and many think this is even better. It looks a lot like Libre.
    Regarding anti-virus software, my website developer friend states that it isn't needed on a Mac, as this system is encrypted and secure, so I've never downloaded any and have never had a problem.

4. tomg35

tomg35

Mac's are not immune to viruses or malware. Criminals are very clever about setting up spoof sites or sending out emails that can fool you into giving elevated permissions to their programs.

Anti virus software can also monitor for dodgy websites.

Here's a link about flash updates that were created to look like the real thing
    https://www.grahamcluley.com/mac-malware-flash-player/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice