need info on cloning HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cybernia_nyc

I had a laptop and the motherboard fried. The HD is still fine. What I would like to do is clone the HD and install it on an older desktop I have so I don't have to hassle re-installing all my programs etc on the desktop. The OS is Win7

I've never done this before so I have a few questions:

1. Will it work if the OS is tied to another brand and it's from a laptop going to a desktop?

2. If it is possible, can I hook up the old HD via usb and clone it that way?

2.Since the newer version of MS OSes seem to be tied to the hardware, will that make a difference? Will it work? Will it ask me for an authorization code and will MS give me one if I call and ask?

Thanks

If the product key sticker on the laptop has OEM on it you cannot transfer the OS, it is permanantly tied to the laptop and would be impossible to activate on another PC.

cybernia_nyc

Thanks. I would imagine it does since it came already loaded. That's a drag. I thought I had a brilliant idea. :(

Yup, it's daylight robbery in my opinion, you pay for the licence in the price of the PC and then you can't move it on to the next one when the machine is trashed.

May be one day a manufacturer will have a brainwave and start supplying PC's with no OS installed, just supplied with a drivers disc, then you can install your own copy and only have to buy the licence once.

cybernia_nyc

I agree, Remember the days when when you bought something you actually owned it? And, they offered a decent warranty, not this one-year crap. Think about it, tech companies are basically saying their products are so shoddy they won't guarantee them for more than a year. Incredible.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I agree, Remember the days when when you bought something you actually owned it? And, they offered a decent warranty, not this one-year crap. Think about it, tech companies are basically saying their products are so shoddy they won't guarantee them for more than a year. Incredible.
Remember when a decent desktop computer was $1500? Now it's $500.
That's why. Warranties, support etc costs money. Consumers want cheap computers.

Yup, it's daylight robbery in my opinion, you pay for the licence in the price of the PC and then you can't move it on to the next one when the machine is trashed.

May be one day a manufacturer will have a brainwave and start supplying PC's with no OS installed, just supplied with a drivers disc, then you can install your own copy and only have to buy the licence once.
I almost always buy my PC's with no OS installed. If you buy it with an OS, you get it at a discount, so that is how they justify tying it to the machine. But the OS is actually licensed not to the owner but to the PC manufacturer who buys licenses in bulk.

Once when buying a PC, I noticed that the OS was listed separately on the invoice. So I sent a check for the total minus the cost of the OS and told them I didn't want the OS. When I got the machine, the OS was on it. I guess they figured it was too much trouble to remove it and no one usually asked to have it done.:D

DoubleHelix

Banned
I almost always buy my PC's with no OS installed. If you buy it with an OS, you get it at a discount, so that is how they justify tying it to the machine. But the OS is actually licensed not to the owner but to the PC manufacturer who buys licenses in bulk.
Not much of a discount. Windows is already very, very heavily discounted to OEMs. I believe the figure I heard was about $20 per computer.

Not much of a discount. Windows is already very, very heavily discounted to OEMs. I believe the figure I heard was about $20 per computer.
No, I have never heard of anyone paying $20. :D But is it standard practice to show the actual cost of the OS on the invoice? I had assumed that it was buried in the total somewhere.

DoubleHelix

Banned
No, I have never heard of anyone paying $20. :D But is it standard practice to show the actual cost of the OS on the invoice? I had assumed that it was buried in the total somewhere.
$20 is an amount I heard/read somewhere. I've never seen the cost of Windows on a computer purchase invoice. It's in the total price. I was responding to your post about buying computers without an operating system and getting a discount. You can buy a computer with Windows 7 installed for as little as $200-$300. You're not getting much of a discount on hardware without an OS.

$20 is an amount I heard/read somewhere. I've never seen the cost of Windows on a computer purchase invoice. It's in the total price. I was responding to your post about buying computers without an operating system and getting a discount. You can buy a computer with Windows 7 installed for as little as $200-$300. You're not getting much of a discount on hardware without an OS.
Yes, I understood what you were saying and shouldn't have mixed those 2 things together. The question about the price on the invoice was an afterthought.

I was pretty sure I lucked out that time I saw the OS listed separately. They probably don't do that any more. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online