1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need Info on laptop harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WillyH, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WillyH

WillyH Thread Starter

Hi; I just joined. Where is the coffee machine?
    I just bought a laptop without the hard-drive or battery. The machine is a 'dell pentium II cp m233xt'. Can I just get any hard-drive and put it in or do I have to be specific? Ditto for the battery?
    Where's the sugar? Coffee is old.:rolleyes:

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Battery Type:: lithium ion

Dimensions:
    Height 21.5 mm (0.83 inch)
    Depth 88.5 mm (3.48 inches)
    Width 139.0 mm (5.47 inches)
    Weight 0.39 kg (0.87 lb)
    Voltage 16.8 VDC
    Capacity 39 WH

Memory Architecture:: EDO
    Memory module sockets two
    Memory module capacities and type 16-, 32-, and 64-MB 3.3-V EDO SODIMMs1
    Standard RAM one 16-MB memory module or one 32-MB memory module
    Maximum RAM 128 MB

Would suggest a small drive for that laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146040
    Battery: http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi

3. WillyH

WillyH Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Not really worried about battery right now. That info on harddrive doesn't help much. I don't have any friends that know much about laptops. we are all green. I found out my dell part # and the recommended hd was 4gig. What i need to know now is can i just stick any hd in that will fit. I want to go to 12 or so. Does it have to be a dell (IBM) like original etc.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! For $500 you can have a new laptop that comes with a new battery, a much larger hard disk, much faster processor, lots more memory, a copy of XP, a CD burner, etc. Why would you sink money into that old machine? Here's just one of many deals I see regularly: http://dealnews.com/deals/Dell-Insp...book-for-499-shipped-after-rebate/114190.html

Visit these sites for a few weeks and pick your poison, but please don't waste your money trying to make that laptop into something that it can never be. :)

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

5. WillyH

WillyH Thread Starter

Please don't take this the wrong way. Hardly. I feel like an idiot for buying this thing, However, I don't make a lot of spare change and i wanted a laptop for the car. So Ebay---oops. Well it is mine now so I gotta get a hard drive cause it will be months till I can find 500 plus exchange plus shipping. I am biting the bullet and buying a harddrive so I can experiment until maybe next year when I might be able to do the smart thing. Need a floppy to. not worried about battery. I appreciate your remark. Another time it might have been advice taken.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No problem, just don't like to see money tossed away. :)

FWIW, I find eBay the last place I'd ever buy something like this.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice