1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Info on Sasfis Trojan

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bloggeroo, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloggeroo

bloggeroo Thread Starter

I got a call from a friend who opened an email in her Yahoo account. Apparently, she got infected with the Sasfis Trojan and her emails seemed to have vanished.

From what I have read so far, this trojan seems to be detectable by Ad-Aware and maybe Spybot. I'd like to be able to give her specific instructions to deal with this infection.

For my first question, is the Sasfis Trojan found only in Windows systems? I'm using Kubuntu Linux right now and also other Ubuntu distros. I'm asking because I'm leaning towards having her install Kubuntu Linux in another partition and advise her to use Kubuntu to access the internet.

By the way, I do have a Windows XP partition which I haven't used online since last year and I'm only familiar with Spybot and Comodo anti-virus. I used to have AVG and ZoneAlarm. Frankly, I haven't kept up with the viruses, worms and trojans attacking the Windows system.

For my second question, with the NoScript and AdBlock add-ons to Firefox, will Sasfis Trojan-type malware be preventable from a Linux-based system? I'm asking because I read that it seems to be delivered by JavaScript. Of course, I'm aware that Sasfis is a Win32 malware, but I'm more concerned about the method of delivery via emails and its prevention.

For my third question, will she be able to recover her Yahoo emails that have been "erased" by this malware? Can anybody confirm that this Sasfis Trojan is capable of this attack as well? I can't seem to find any information about this type of attack or damage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice