1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need input for new device

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by MorguhnB, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MorguhnB

MorguhnB Thread Starter

I'm trying to make a device, that by touching an object with a code on it (like an ID card with a qr code) it can access the information associated with that ID card.

Would you recommend a QR code to store text information, and what sensor should I use? *Note: for the purposes of the device I'm making I want the card to make contact with the device / sensor*

Is this achievable with a qr code, or should I seek out a different meathod?

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Knowing more about the project might be helpful. QR codes don't require contact with a device in order to be read, so that seems like a bad choice for your requirements. Generally, QR codes and bar codes only store pointer data - an ID number, URL, etc -- that a system can then use to look up. A QR code containing a lot of text is possible, but would need to be quite large to be reliably read.

If contact is required for some reason, perhaps a swipe-based barcode reader like this one from ID Tech: https://www.barcodesinc.com/idtech/part-wcr3237-700us.htm

I've used that one on projects before. They have a variant that can be read from a COM Port and another that just enters the contents of the barcode straight onto Windows as though it were a keyboard (into whatever app has focus).

Depending on the project, it's important to keep in mind that QR and barcodes can easily be duplicated by taking a picture or using a photocopier. You wouldn't want to consider it for a security application. You could also look into RFID cards, like those used for access control doors, but again they don't require contact - only that the card be very close, depending on the reader.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Drabdr likes this.
  3. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Mike, you hit upon what I was thinking about: RFID. There are two kinds: active and passive.

So... say you wanted to record who comes in and out of a room. The active RFID (on the employee) would emit a signal to the readers on the door.

If you went with passive, the employee would need to "badge in", or place the passive RFID near a reader.

TechGuy likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!