1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Input

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corpser, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

So I'm looking to buy a new hard drive. I'm looking at two internals and external.

WD Blue 6TB 5400 RPM - $145
    WD Black 6TB 7200 RPM - $220
    WD 10TB My Book External (5400 RPM) - $208
    The prices listed are from Amazon and rounded up to the nearest full dollar.

Obviously the internals will be faster as they're SATA and generally the better choice. Unfortunately neither the Blue or Black have a 10TB option. I would get the external without hesitation but I'm a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews. Quite a few talk about their external not working after arrival or failing quite soon.

Currently I have a WD 4TB external always plugged in and it's running out of space just like my 2TB internal. With how I've never had an issue with my external after all this time I don't see why the 10TB would but said reviews make me wary. I do have room in my tower for a second internal and I do have an extra SATA cable. Just highly doubtful that 6TB will be enough room.

I would like input on which one would be the suggested one to get out of the three and why. Just to say I did look at the WD Red 10TB but it's even more expensive than the 10TB external and not really needed for a home PC.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you do backups? Important data need backups or you'll be sorry one day as hard disk fail. How will you be doing backups if you have a 6TB disk ? You will need to buy 2 of them. The forum is full of messages of people coming to us for help and eventually needing a full reformat reinstall of Windows and they don't have backups.

3. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

Well none of these are for backups. I need to get a hard drive, internal or external, for data storage of games. And yes I do. I have a 2TB external for backups. The only things I backup are documents, photos, music, etc. Things that are easily covered by the 2TB I already use.

I know how to do a full clean install of windows reformatting or not. These drives that I'm considering are just for more game storage. That's why I mentioned that I know SATA is better as it's directly connected to the motherboard where as a USB will be slower in the external's case. The only reason I'm considering the external is because of the extra 4TB and the reasonable price. The reviews are the only thing making me hold back on immediately getting it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice