1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need installation cd for reinstalling or repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by highdezgirl, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highdezgirl

highdezgirl Thread Starter

I want to reinstall or repair my os. My computer came preinstalled with XP I need the installation cd in order to reinstall or repair the os. Where can I get this CD? I have the Home version.

2. ldcxd36

ldcxd36

There are a few options in relation to your problem.

First off, if your pc came with Windows XP pre-installed, then it is usually a requirement that the retail vendor you purchased it from, provided they are legitimate, also provide you with some form of Microsoft Licence and valid software to complete a reinstallation to its original settings as purchased.

1. If you havent recieved Windows XP on CD with the purchase of your pc, dont be surprised. However, you should of either been provided with a set of "Recovery CD's" to which will allow you to resintall your system to its origianl form.

2. Some PC manufacturers like HP for example are not providing "recovery cd's" instead all the ssoftware is stored on a partitioned part of the hard drive. It should be accessible from the BIOS.

3. If you do not have either "Recovery CD's" or the software stored on your hard drive. You should contact the vendor and ask for your copy. If they are not willing to provide you with the necessary equipment, then contact Microsoft and report them

3. highdezgirl

thank-you for your help I do have the recovery cds that I made when first receiving my system I didn't know they were one in the same

4. prospect

prospect

What does that mean " the ones you made"

5. prospect

prospect

By the way Welcome to TSG:D

6. highdezgirl

I have a create recovery CD's feature on my hp pavilion

7. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

The new machines have no disc's with them. You get aprogram that allows you to make one copy of the new system. Which breaks down to 8 discs when your done.

You can also call HP and get one if you have a new comp otherwise they charge you 9 bucks for them.

But before all that you should be able to hit F10 when you are booting up and go into recovery which sets the machine back tot he day it was made.

So in the end you dont even need the disc's unless you are replacing a hard drive.

8. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

Oh one last thing under the recovery it will ask if you wish to restore back to a date if you just started having problems with it. This saves everything you have added up to a certain time. Just go back to a date before the problem.

Recovery is if you wish to just erase it all and start over fresh.

P.S. Sorry about the type o's above lol.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice