need instructions to do de-frag on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

naeem2

Hi,
Thanks to anyone who can give me instructions on how to defrag on Windows XP. and which drive to choose(or all of them), will I get a choice or have to enter my own?

Right click "My Computer" and select Manage. Disk defragmenter is in there.

The rest is intuitive.

Also you can click start, programs, accessories, system tools, disc defrag. If your hard drive is c, then defrag c. If you have partitions, then do each one in sequence or however you want.

For defrag to run best, you should turn all all other programs, including antivirus and firewall, and disconnect from the internet. When its finished, if it says there are files that cannot be defragmented, just run it again and usually that will take care of them all.

HTH

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online