1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need instructions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by babbee, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babbee

babbee Thread Starter

WOW!! I had no idea all those sharewares were illegal! Thank God i am too scared to try them! Anywho, heres my problem,I need step by step instructions on how to completely purge my system and start fresh. I have an xp and its gone berserk!Well maybe,anyway,Ive been having problems logging on to the net and when i finally do connect,i can't browse.It blinks me back to my desktop and i have to start all over again.I called my isp server(several times) and they have to walk me back thru the setup proccess before i am able to use this hunk-of-junk for anything.They finally got tired of me calling so they told me it was my equipment that was faulty and that i needed to call their tech support.Which i did do, and they told me if it connects at all in any way to the net its not the equipment and that it may be a virus.So he was sweet enough to copy me that avg (for free) and saved me $45.00.i ran the program and it indeed found a slew of viruses called trojan horses and copied the infected file to a virus vault,but its still doing the same dern thing!!I dont know much about computers but i figure if i start over,it might fix the problem.What do you think, would that do the trick? Thanks a bunch....babbee

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start fresh.

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. Read the directions on that page!!!

Delete all the partitions you see and create a new one. Format it NTFS, as the directions on that page will direct you.

If you have any problems booting from CD, set the CD to boot earlier then the hard drive in BIOS setup, or come back for more help.

3. babbee

babbee Thread Starter

the info you gave didnt go like ithought it was. it never asked for repair option nor F8 for agreement.It did reinstall microsoft but now theres three options for it.What do i do now ?I want to completely wipeout all programs and start new.

Thanks,Babbee

4. dai

dai

boot from the xp cd and choose install
    when it offers to format choose yes
    after format continue with install
    ignore any repair options offered and continue with install

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!