1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Laptop Harddrive Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stiney, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Well, unfortunately I just found the first bad sector ever on the harddrive of my laptop. I just noticed it also makes a gurgling noise whenever I start to play a DVD in it, doesn't seem to make the noise when I do anything else.

So I go on a search for a PCMCIA hard drive, and I find one, at e bay, and I can't seem to find any others.

So I figured I better ask before I go blowing any money on parts that might not be great, is a PCMCIA hard drive worth the effort to find, or am I better off getting an external hard drive of some sort?

I really really don't want to have to buy a new laptop. I love this one. Up until this point, it's been extremely reliable. Moreso than any other computer I've ever owned. Which probably explains why all my other computers are sitting under a couple inches of dust, and this one is suddenly starting to give up from all the wear and tear.

Thanks.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You can replace the hard drive in the laptop. Get a USB 2 2.5in drive enclosure (about £7.00 in the UK) and if necessary a cardbus USB2 card. Then get youself a new 2.5in drive. Put the new drive in the enclosure, attach it and Ghost your old system to the new drive. You can then replace the original Laptop drive with the new one, and use the old one(after a Format to mark the bad sectors) in the external case.

3. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Alright, I guess I have some shopping to do then. I'll be back with definitely a lot more questions.

Like when you say Ghost are you meaning that program from Norton which I do not have? *Well I have it on a disk that came with the motherboard I put into the computer I built for my brother, but it tried to kill that computer for some reason so I'm leery*

Lots of questions from me actually. I've never taken a laptop apart at all before. And I'd go to the local repair place but they keep telling me "Laptops? We don't fix laptops. Don't know anything about them." So you can see how helpful that would be.

Now I guess I gotta decide between Seagate and Hitachi. Anyone have any preferences either way?

4. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Oh and also, how do I know if I need a cardbus USB2 card?

5. DaveBurnett

Changing a hard drive is not that difficult,you can do it yourself. Let me know the make and model so I can get hold of a Manual. Go for the Hitachi Travelstar which is an IBM design made by Hitachi.
    Ghost should not destroy anything. What OS and file system are you running.
    Does your machine have USB ports and are they USB1 or 2? I should be able to tell when you tell what your machine is.

6. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

I been running around like a chicken with my head cut off all day trying to find the info, funny you should ask just when I actually located it.

The specs from the Toshiba website on my machine are:

Satellite 1800 Series Specifications

PIII 850/WinMe (PS181C-00WZX)

System Characteristics
    Processor Intel® Pentium® III

Clock Speed 850MHz

Coprocessor Integrated

Cache 16KB Internal Cache, On-Die 256KB Level 2 Cache

Memory
    Standard 128MB SDRAM

Maximum 512MB SDRAM (Two Total Slots)

Expansion Modules 64MB, 128MB, 256MB PC100 SODIMM Modules

BIOS ROM 1MB Capacity

Storage
    Hard Disk Drive 15.0-Billion Bytes
    12-ms Access Time
    9.5-mm Height
    Enhanced IDE
    2.5"
    Service Removable (Two Screws)

Optical Drive Built-In DVD-ROM Drive
    110-ms Average Access Time
    Maximum Speed: DVD-ROM (8X), CD-ROM (24X)
    ATAPI Interface
    Service Removable (Four Screws)
    Software Decoder: InterVideo (WinDVD)

Floppy Disk Drive Built-In 1.44MB, 3.5"

Display System
    Size (diagonal) 14.1"

Type TFT Active Matrix Colour LCD Display

LCD Panel Resolution 1,024 x 768 x 16.7 Million Colours

External Support and Maximum Colour Support 640 x 480 x 16.7 Million Colours
    800 x 600 x 16.7 Million Colours
    1,024 x 768 x 16.7 Million Colours
    1,280 x 1,024 x 16.7 Million Colours
    1,600 x 1,200 x 65,536 Colours

Simultaneous Display Support 1,024 x 768 x 16.7 Million Colours

Video
    Graphics Controller Integrated Trident® CyberBlade Ai1™

Graphics Accelerator 64-bit Internal AGP Bus, Hardware cursor

Video Memory 8MB (Part of Standard Memory)

Audio
    Ali M1535 Chip
    AK4543 Codec Chip
    Full Duplex 16-Bit Stereo
    HRTF 3D Sound Support
    Direct 3D Sound by Sound Driver, Direct Music
    Volume Control Dial
    Built-In Speaker

Communication
    Modem V.90 Data/Fax Modem, Ring Wake-Up Resume

LAN 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Network Interface Card, Wake-Up On LAN, Network Boot

Expansion
    Memory First Slot Filled with 128MB, Can Be Replaced by 64MB or 256MB Module
    Second Slot Empty; Two Screws Remove Lid

PC Card Slots Two PC Card Slots Support Two Type II or One Type III PC Cards Supports Cardbus

Ports Serial, Parallel, RGB, PS/2, Infrared, 2 USB, 1 TV-Out, RJ-11, RJ-45, External Microphone, Headphone Port

Keyboard and Pointing Device
    Keyboard Full-Size
    85 Keys with 12 Function Keys
    2.7-mm Keystroke
    6-mm Height
    Dedicated Windows® Keys

Pointing Device Integrated AccuPoint™ II Pointing Device with User-Programmable Scroll Buttons

CD Control Function Play/Pause, Stop/Eject, Previous, Skip/Next. Instant Access Internet Button

Dimensions and Weight
    Dimensions 313-mm (W) x 274-mm (D) x 39.5-mm (H)

Weight 6.9 lbs.

Operating System
    Windows® Me and Toshiba Utilities

Power
    Power Supply 60W External Universal AC Adaptor Input Voltage (100-240V 50/60 Hz Frequency (Universal), Output Voltage (15V, 4A)

Battery Type Removable, Rechargeable Nine-Cell Lithium Ion (Li-ion) 10.8V x 4,500 mAh Capacity

Battery Life 2.0 Hours

Recharge Time Three Hours Off/Four-10 Hours On

BIOS
    ACPI V1.0b, PnP V1.0A, VESA V2.0, DPMS, SM BIOS V2.3, PCI BIOS Support V2.1, APM Support V1.2

Security
    Cable Lock Slot, Power on Password

Sorry, thought I'd cut and paste to cover everything. I'm running Windows Me. I noticed that that's only a supported platform in Ghost 2003 and I believe the NOrton software I have is only supposed to work with the Soyo motherboard it came with. Not sure on that though.

I don't know if you can tell what kind of USB ports I have from that. I've been looking all day trying to figure that out.

I'm wondering if the hard drive enclosure I was thinking of buying might make a difference with the USB issue. Sabrent Hard Drive Enclosure

And I was going to put this hard drive inside it. Hitachi 40 Gig

And while I was nosing around, I found this program and wondered if it would work for copying the drive information. Farstone Drive Clone

Sorry for the enormously large post. But like I said, I've been hunting around all day looking for things, mainly because I want to get my research done before Monday, so when I'm in Edmonton, I know what I'm looking for and I can actually look and see if I can find something reasonably priced.

7. DaveBurnett

Spot the fact that the 2.5in disk is service removable - 2 screws

That prce for the Hitachi is far too high. Try here: http://www.pricewatch.com/2/101/46-1.htm about $60 lower

And see here: http://www.pricewatch.com/1/26/5740-1.htm for the enclosure

Yes you will need a cardbus USB2. See here:
    http://www.pricewatch.com/1/103/5926-1.htm go for the generic 2port USB and firewire for $16 (the fourth item)

I think the version of Ghost you have will work - If it is newer than the one I have (ver 7.0 - before 2001). I've actually reverted to that version from a later one. Have a look and try to install it (or list the files in it for me to see).

8. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Actually, by the time I pay the difference in currency, the extra shipping and the duty when it crosses the border, the tigerdirect price is close to the same. (Cuz I'm in Canada, not the US)

And so you're saying that the enclosure I linked to above won't solve the USB thing being that it's compatible with both USB 1 and 2?

I think I did find the hard drive enclosure yesterday after snooping around a bit. It sits right on top of my 3.5" floppy does it not? Little panel comes off the side and the drive slides right out?

I'll have to go hunt for the GHost and see what version it is. Basement's a mess right now, it's somewhere in the pile. But I will go look and be back with information later tonight.

For now I must go dig an unending number of rows of potatoes.

Ugh.

9. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Well, tried out the copy of Ghost I have. Alarms went off, the FBI showed up. I'm writing this from the library at the local prison.....

Actually it just spit out the disk and gave me a blue screen, either way, I can't use the copy I have, it'll only work with the Soyo motherboard I put in my brother's computer. And even then, when I installed it on that computer, I tried to get it to work and got a bunch of error messages, so I truthfully don't know what's up with this copy of Ghost.

Will the Farstone DriveClone Program do the same thing? It's a lot less money than Ghost is.

10. DaveBurnett

Yes it probably would but I have never heard of it and certainly couldn't help you with it if anything went wrong. But have a look for ["Ghost 7.0" buy] - remove the square brackets - on Google. There are several for less than $10. I know they said on symantech that you need a later version for ME, but we are going to cheat anyway.
    As for the enclosures, yes the one you specified will work ( they are all about the same ) . I was just pointing out what I thought was a cheaper one. You don't HAVE to get the USB2 card; it is just a hell of a lot faster (10x plus) than the USB1 that is in you machine. If you intend to continue to use the old drive as an external drive, you will appreciate the extra speed.

11. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks for the information. I'm going to go shop around today, although I will probably return home empty handed and end up ordering from tigerdirect anyway, as even after you add the ridiculous shipping charge, the prices are still lower than any I've found so far going into an actual physical store.

I don't mean to be a pain in the arse questioning the things you told me. I did want to know the reasoning behind the things you told me I needed just because I'm trying to have a better understanding of what I'm going to do and why.

The price of fixing a computer doesn't seem so steep if you end up learning something in the process of fixing it. :)

I might take my chances with that other program if I can't find a reasonably priced Ghost. If you lead me through the basics of what I have to do, I'm not daunted by figuring out the program. If this was one of my desktops I wouldn't be close to this nervous about it. I've just never had to fix a laptop before, so it's unfamiliar territory for me.

Wish me luck with the shopping. If the last time I went looking for parts is any indication, I'll need it.

12. DaveBurnett

Thats ok, I'd rather you understood what you are doing than just blindly following instructions.
    Before you buy that Farstone Clone, give them a ring and double check that it can cope with both USB and Cardbus/usb. It needs to have the drivers for DOS for both of them.

13. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Alrighty. I will do some program research tonight. My shopping trip was a bust. Asked for the cardbus adapter in 4 stores and got a look of "Huh?" for my efforts. Found Ghost 2003 but did not want to pay $139 for it. Couldn't find a hard drive for a laptop at all. So I guess internet shopping it is.

I'll be back with more questions later, what with waiting for shipping, this is gonna take awhile.

14. stiney

stiney Thread Starter

Okay, so I got all the parts today. I tried for most of my day to get the new hard drive to work by plugging it into the cardbus adapter. No dice. Every time I plugged it in I got blue screens and near computer death. So I plugged it into the USB ports on the back of my computer and like magic, it started to work.

I went ahead and bought the Drive Clone program, which looks like it would work really nicely if it were in a desktop with hard drives plugged into IDE controllers. But for USB, doesn't seem to notice it's there.

So to make a long story short, I just found Ghost 2003 on ebay for $5.

This will take awhile longer.

15. DaveBurnett

You will have needed to install some drivers for the cardbus card. There should have been a n install CD with it. It should show up in Device Manager under USB Controllers as a USB 2.0 device, and there should be other lines there relating to USB2.0 as well.
    The new disk will need to have FDISK run against it to allocate a partition. It will then be seen in Windows Explorer. If FDISK doesn't 'see' it, run unpack the attached zip to a new folder and run the file in a command window. You should then be able to see the new disk.
    I would buy that Ghost at that price in any case.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice