Need Linux driver for my modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sunny_blue_skies

I need a driver for my Supra Max 56 Voice PCI modem. I am new to Xandros and Linux if you will but I'm hell bent to make it work somehow.
If my modem is not compatible with Linux could you guys suggest some common modems that are?
And how do I install the Linux driver, Xandros did not detect my modem.
Thanks.

Linux just has problems with WinModems, which is what the Supra Max is. I don't know about Xandros but you could try a different distro (I hear Mepis has good win-modem support) or get an external modem that doesn't need drivers.

CouchMaster said:
or get an external modem that doesn't need drivers.
Bingo.

Even when you can get a "Linux supported" (and I use the term loosely) software modem to run under Linux, it rarely (if ever) works terribly well.

There are a few internal hardware modems that work, but the best move is to just get an external...used ones are dirt cheap, like $5, now that everyone has broadband.

If you have a http://www.freecycle.org/ page in your city, someone will probably be thrilled to give you their surplus modem.

jiml8

If you have a winmodem with a lucent chipset, chances are good it can be made to work. I used to have one working reliably on the 2.2 and later on the 2.4 kernels. Don't know about 2.6; haven't tried. But Lucent put out a linux driver backend for their chipset and there were a fair number of open source frontends that could compile in that backend successfully.

The Agere (formerly Lucent) modems are about the only Winmodems that came close to working well in Linux, but the problem lies in getting them to work in less than optimum circumstances. With a huge amount of tweaking, I was able to get one of these modems to work passibly well on my line with the Windows driver, but I could never get the same modem to work well in Linux.

By using an external 3Com modem, I circumvented all that hassle and got improved throughput in the bargain.

I recently bought a box with OEM Linux installed which had a riser modem and it was just absolutely dismal in Linux. Now I have DSL, but there's simply no way I'd try to screw around with a Linux software modem if I didn't.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online