1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need Linux version thats easy to learn have no $

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by yomom.com, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yomom.com

yomom.com Thread Starter

i need a linux OS that is free to download and put on CDs have broadband thats no problem have Cd burner no problem

needs to b easy to use and can play windoze games if possible

needs to b easy to learn windoze clone would b great

nothing illegal plz

computer is a Pentium 100 Mhz that im giving to my lil brother

thanks

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Windows games: Nothing, nothing without work, and most likely money. However, if its just for your brother to much around with, then he wont need windows games: There are hundreds (thousands?) of great games for linux. As for the 100mhz, you can get away with it but without some work, it will be very slow. You are going to need to go with a light WM (Fluxbox comes to mind), and most likely a kernel rebuild. This is where the conundrum comes in. The easy to install linuxes are also the most memory/CPU intensive. YOu may want to learn on Damn Small Linux, and then install that to drive, or i've also heard good things about Bonzai.

3. yomom.com

yomom.com Thread Starter

alright sounds good i looked at damn small linuc and fluxbox both seem good but i am stupid i dont know how i could get this onto a bootable CD to where i could put it in my other computer and it would install the OS so id like to know how to do that..

4. Boo_Compaq

Boo_Compaq

For what you are looking for, I honestly think linux is too much for you. Linux is not as easy as windows. And even the distros that come close to windows ease are like whiteskin said...they take up more resources.

Linux is not illegal. Nothing to do with linux is illegal. Most software for linux comes under the GNU public (or something very similar) license which means its free to distribute, free to burn copies, free to give it to anyone you like, free to download, free to be free....

But like i said, chances are Linux will be too complicated for you to use...its only easy when you take the time to learn how to use it. But try if you can...i definitely recommend it

EDIT: And as for playing windows games....could you even play windows games on a P100 with windows on it? if not, you can't expect linux to do it. You would have to get an emulator like VMWare or a free one...the name escapes me for now...

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

You can run linux on a 100MHz processor, but independent of OS, its not going to run modern games. An easy to use linux distro with graphical frontends for everything simply doesn't run on 100MHz. Same thing with other OSes, that system wouldn't handle Windows XP and it won't handle a user-friendly linux distro.

BTW, linux is a unix clone, not a Windows clone. Don't expect to get all your Windows games working. However, linux does have many thousands of games that will run on it.

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I have to say i agree with Boo here. I think linux is going to be too much work. Through 3.1 on there. Linux is definatly somthing where you have to work.

8. yomom.com

yomom.com Thread Starter

so damn small linux and the other one not work? i have plenty of time to learn.. if it can install.. how?

9. chakorules

chakorules

Try FEDORA?

http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/test/1.91/i386/iso/

tech Support:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/

I dunno if it will run on a 100MHZ unless you only install the command shell only and no KDE or GNOME...I think you'll kill a 100MHZ if you chose to install it like that....but who knows..it might run ok. It's a free download. 4 ISO disk to make. Boots from CD-ROM. Go for it....

Self installer...quite easy to get up and running if your computer can handle it.

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The small distros work just fine-but on a 100MHz machine its going to have to be command line only. Well, you might get FluxBox to run on it, but I wouldn't count on doing any gaming with 100MHz of processor. If it is possible, it would certainly involve compiling everything yourself with minimal options so it takes less resources. I just don't think that system can handle graphics based gaming.

11. tsunam

tsunam

text based muds! or MUDs!

12. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Thats why I said graphics based games :D Knew somebody would bring up text games.... :)

13. lynch

lynch

yomom.com, if you go to the Damn Small Linux site, they tell you how to download and install it.
    lynch

14. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Try DSL. If that seems fine for you, install it. (Note: You will have to get a couple of other things, as DSL (AFAIK) does not have apt installed, nor make and gcc.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice