1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need major help!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharksrule, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharksrule

sharksrule Thread Starter

I just got a Asus K7VZA-266 mobo and an Athlon 1.4 ghz CPU. (if u need anymore info just let me know) I installed Windows 2000 succesfully, and then I went to install Windows XP professional. When setup tried to read from my cdrom, my computer crashed and turned itself off. Now, when I press the power button, NOTHING happens. NOTHING. Ive checked all the wires, motherboard and the powersupply, and they seem to be in good working order.

Any suggestions?

2. deuce

deuce

First, just to get this out of the way... why are you going from 2000 to Xp Pro? You don't have to install 2k to use the upgrade version of Xp Pro. When you install Xp it will ask for proof that you own a windows license. So it powered off by itself? You didn't push anything? That is strange. Are all your components compatible with Xp? Try taking everything off except the vid card, cpu, and ram and see if it starts. If it does put it back together piece by piece and you can determine what part is cauing the problem. Normally it should show some form of life. You didn't trip a fuse did you?

3. Rockn

Rockn

What did you upgrade from...CPU and motherboard wise? If it's in a case from a manufacturer like DELL or Gateway the standoffs might not be correct for the Asus board and might have shorted the board to ground.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice