1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need memory, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PISTON, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PISTON

PISTON Thread Starter

i know i need ddr2 pc6400. i really dont know anything else. i dont understand the timing, or the mhz, or anything else for that matter, obviously some are better than others, just tell me how to understand the numbers so i can judge what is good and whats not if you can. thanx

2. Xperience

Xperience

Okay, for a start, DDR means Double Data Rate and transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal, effectively nearly doubling the data transmission rate without having to deal with the additional problems of timing skew that increasing the number of data lines would introduce.

Now it all depends on the Operating System on how much to buy. If you want to run Vista, you will need atleast 1GB, although Microsoft reckons that you need 2GB to run Vista, you dont, 1GB is fine. If you want to run XP, 512MB will get you by.

Numbers and letters and etcetera at the end most likely just mean the model of RAM.

3. euinka

euinka

If you're not planning any overclocks or benchmarking, then timings won't be of concern.
    You just need to figure out if you need DDR or DDR2, and in some cases the compatibility of the RAM with your motherboard.

4. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

What are your computer's specifications right now? CPU, Motherboard, etc?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice