Need more storage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sirant

I recently upgraded my gaming laptop to a ASUS ROG STRIX G15 but it only comes with a 500gb drive. I need more storage as uninstalling and reinstalling games is a pain in the butt! I have a couple of 1Tb drives from my older laptops but these are different brands- MSI and Toshiba. Can i install one of these 1Tb drives into my new laptop to increase storage capacity and if so how?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you look at this upgrade guide for your laptop, this will give you an overview of how to install one of these drives. Is it an SSD or HDD?

Sirant

If you look at this upgrade guide for your laptop, this will give you an overview of how to install one of these drives. Is it an SSD or HDD?
Pc has 3 slots, 2 slots for PCIe (NVMe) SSD and one slot for SATA SSD. The drives i have are from different brands of laptops so i want to know if it is possible to transfer any compatible drives from old laptops into new one. Don't need data that is currently on these other drives so no issue there. I just dont want to pay another $400 to get new ones after shelling out $3000 for pc is all

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It all depends if these drives from the old laptops are NVMe or SATA SSD drives, obviously. If they are, it should be easy enough to transfer them to the new laptop.

Sirant

It all depends if these drives from the old laptops are NVMe or SATA SSD drives, obviously. If they are, it should be easy enough to transfer them to the new laptop.
does it matter if these drives are from lower Gen systems as new pc is 10thGen. Will it matter if they come from Win 8 as new pc is Win10. Hope these aren't stupid questions but i just want to be sure. Thanks for help BTW

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No, please don't think of these as stupid questions. As I tell people all the time: there's a big difference between ignorance and stupidity. I'm ignorant with respect to how one rebuilds a car engine, but I know I'm not stupid :)

You should be fine for installing one of these drives, even if it came from a Win 8 machine.

Sirant

thanks for advice hey. Although with a little research i have discovered that i am probably better off outlaying the $400. For that i can turn my already impressive little ROG STRIX G15 into a 32GB RAM with 2.5TB of storage game laptop. It has a RTX2070 card already so i guess $400 extra isn't too much extra to pay when the result is a desktop killer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online