1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need mother board from 80$-110$

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xeno, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

ok like the subject said i need one about in that range. im building a computer as u can tell right now i have (i should of gotten the mother board as one of the first things ) a 512mb sdram card a radeon 9000 pro 128 agp graphics card a 48x12x48 burner a 52x cd romdrive a 350 watt antec power supply and a antec case that 8.1" (W) x 20.6" (H) x 18.6" (D) and i plan on having a pentium 4 proccesser at 2.4 ghz and a 40 gig hard drive so if u could tell me where i could get a motherboard that would suit that computer please tell me where i can get it!!

2. Sponsor

3. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

o yeah and i would like a couple extra pci slots for internet lan cards ect.

4. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer

I would only consider either ABIT or ASUS motherboards. They have proven reliability and stability. In your case since you have sdram memory cards, the ASUS P4B motherboard would take your SDRAM cards and a 2.4 gig pentium cpu. It also has 6 pci slots and sells for between $80 and $100.

5. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

umm what do u think about this one http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=p4b
    only 1 prob i dont know how much it is and i dont know where to buy it if a store or online i cant find a checkout 8( but also would it fit what i want so far i can see that it does 8)

6. gws226

gws226

I am extremely pleased with my MSI845-PE MAX2. Many here are not MSI fans but I've built dozens of computers with this board and have been very happy.

It has 6PCIs (5 if you want to enable the bluetooth support)
    Supports the 3.2gmhz P4 (533 bus speed.)
    It comes with all the software goodies along with an automatic bios flash update program that downloads the latest flashes and installs them automatically for you.
    The 845-maxes only support DDR333 and AGP 4x speed so you might want to head a class up.

I can be had for <$90 at http://mwave.com or http://newegg.com

Its not a real big overclocker board. It has all the features but limits Vcore maxes to 1.65v (unless your good with a soldering iron)

I was able to OC my P4 2.0 to 2.52 with the stock intel heatsink with this board. (I haven't heard of any other board doing much more with the same chip/heatsink configuration)

7. n2gun

n2gun

Check the link below. lists sources for a lot of types from different places and prices include shipping.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Also has combos which include the processor.

8. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

gws226 could u give me a direct link to a page with that motherboard i looked at the to sights and i cant find it 8(

9. gws226

gws226

Here's the manufacture link for my board
    http://msicomputer.com/product/chipset.asp?chipset=intel_845E

Here's the manufacture link for the new 865PE neo boards with 400/533/800mhz support, DDR400 memory and 8xAGP. This
    http://msicomputer.com/product/chipset.asp?chipset=intel_865

Here's the MWAVE link for both boards
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ProdMOTH...otherboards</b>&Back=ProdMOTHERBOARD-MSI.hmx?

I consider the 865's a top of line board. Spending the extra few dollars (still in your price range by the way) and getting the 800mhz bus support will make upgrading your processor very easy in the future (the 533bus speeds are stopping at 3.2ghmz) which is good today but a year or two from now you will be very happy that you can purchase a newer processor to a 4.0 800mhz P4 and not have to upgrade your whole system. (the 865 will of course support your 400mhz or 533mhz 2.4 P4)

With the Neo boards... you will need to run a 800mhz bus to get the full speed of the DDR400 ram (its not an issue with the DDR333 or DDR266)

Also... to blow you budget out of proportion... the newest 875 neos support dynamic overclocking. In a nutshell when your computer is running idle it will run your CPU at manufacture spec, but as you near 100% processor useage the mobo will adjust the FSB dynamically to overclock the processor 6-8%. They are first manufacture to offer real time overclocking like this, but enabling the feature instantly voids the warrenty on the processor (just like any other overclocker)

the 875 neos will require you to double your budget

Good luck
    G

10. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! IT TAKES DDR RAM!!! I NEED SDRAM!!! 8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(

11. gws226

gws226

What type of ram do you have? Post model and speed.

12. Rockn

Rockn

I really doubt you are going to find any newer boards that still use SDRAM. As cheap as memory is now you can probably easily get 256MB of DDR for around $25. Did you ever metion what type of CPU you will be upgrading to?

13. gws226

gws226

ROCKNs right...

I've never heard of a P4 motherboard that supports the older SDRAM (like PC133.)

They all pretty much start with PC2100 DDR. You can find 512mg of PNY PC133 on at Compusa for $90. At the same time they have 512mg Sticks of PNY PC2100 on sale for $39. Night and day improvement in speed.

I guess I could understand if you have RIMMs instead of DIMMs. We might be able to do something there with your P4. But, you've got to bring your PC133 SDRAM back to the store if you want to run a P4.

14. putasolution

putasolution

Some boards use either/or ram, for instance the ECS K7S5A has 4 RAM slots 2 SD & 2DDR. You can either choose the SD or the DDR, you can't use both

Not a bad budget board, though it's shame you want a P4, because it's a Socket A board

you are really going to struggle getting a P4 2400Ghz board with SD RAM, but you might want to look at the PCchips 920LR to 2Ghz $28.80 Also look at the 935LU same link

15. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

im buildin a computer rockn so im not upgradin a computer but i have that 512mb pny card that was 90$ omly im not sure if it was 133 or 2100 >8( but im pretty sure it was 133. dang i cant return it its to late i have a friend that has a 256 mb ddr ramcard im not sure if its 2100 but maybe i could trad him my card for his (but im not so sure that it works cuz he bought his at a computer show it didnt seem right getting it from there) but anyways i guess ill do that then 8(. and that board for 28.80 i dont know but it kinda seems a little cheap i dont know if its just me or what.

16. xeno

xeno Thread Starter

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/136026