Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need motherboard suggestion

707 views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  PrancerTran 
#1 ·
looking at either the 3900x or the i9 10850k
this pc will be mainly for music production. heavy softwares of music production too..

1. is the max frequency achieved automatically when reqd or do i need to do any tweaks?
2. is overclocking reqd?

kindly suggest a motherboard for both of the above incase overclocking is reqd or not
thanks in advance

#2 ·
1. is the max frequency achieved automatically when reqd or do i need to do any tweaks?
Turbo freq is predicated on a number of things; load, temp, individual processor load
2. is overclocking reqd?
Overclocking is never required AND it can void your warranty. Many people overclock because it is fun or a challenge. I have a rule; Never overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.
Before anyone could suggest a motherboard, post your budget AND the intended use ie gaming, overclocking, general use, whatever.

#3 ·
thanks for the overclocking bit. i was just not sure what it meant exactly.
intended use is mentioned in the og post. for music production. will be using heavy software plugins as well.

overclocking as not reqd is ok if i dont use it.
budget - INR 15000-20000 (Z490)

or INR 12000+(B460)

but if the cheaper motherboards costing - INR6000 ish (H410M) can be used and if the motherboard is not such a big factor for using turbo frequency then obv i would like to go for the cheaper mobo.

currently i have an i7 4790 on a GA-Z97M-D3H and in the hardware monitor it shows all cores are being used at max 4ghz turbo frequency whenever i use the softwares. no extra cooling inside except for the main fan at the back. ofcourse its quite an old setup but aged now.

#4 ·
Upping your CPU speed is unlikely to stop the CPUs hitting 100% load, if you are doing a CPU intensive task you would want your CPUs at 100% utilisation to make the most of the system. If you buy a faster CPU setup they will still hit 100% load but will just complete the job in a shorter time.

So my question is, are you trying to 'fix' the 100% usage or do you want the jobs to be completed quicker?

#5 ·
my question is which motherboard to go for for the above mentioned CPUs in the og post..

my issue with overclocking vs turbo freq was resolved in the first response.. and i understand that overclocking is not the option for me. i also know that the cpu will 100% if the work demands it so that is resolved

thanks in advance

#6 ·
I would suggest looking at Gigabyte, MSI or Asus as they are probably three of the biggest manufacturers.

They will each have numerous motherboards that support that CPU and any of them will do what you are asking. With that in mind there are two primary factors:

1) Cost. What sort of budget are you looking at?
2) What you want the system to do, which you have mentioned that already.

Socket FCLGA1200 (i9 10850k)
Intel Socket 1200 | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Intel|Motherboards|ASUS United Kingdom
Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

AM4 Socket (Ryzen 3900x)
AMD Socket AM4 | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
AMD|Motherboards|ASUS United Kingdom
Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

Some user benchmarks comparing the two CPUs
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs Intel Core i9-10850K

#7 · (Edited)
already did all of the above and have even checked all those links previously
thanks for your effort

but as per my previous post would like to know which of the 3 motherboard types i should go for with the requirements and budget specs and conditions mentioned too
though i wouldnt mind going for a more expensive mobo, obv getting the work done at a third the cost is always welcome..

as mentioned before for intel:
budget - INR 15000-20000 (Z490)

or INR 12000+(B460)

but if the cheaper motherboards costing - INR6000 ish (H410M) can be used and if the motherboard is not such a big factor for using turbo frequency then obv i would like to go for the cheaper mobo.

the options you have given me have ALL OPTIONS available. want a specific version to do the task of using the cpu at high levels over long hours.. without damage to the motherboard or the cpu , etc.. like which type of mobo would be a good option out of three types i mentioned above for intel....

#8 ·
Apologies, you had provided the info and I had read it previously, just forgot when I came back to the thread!

You are not going to damage the motherboard or CPU buy running them at their normal speeds (not overclocking), as long as they are installed correctly etc.

So, doing a quick Google currency conversion you are looking at around GBP140/USD200 (INR15000) to GBP190/$270 (INR 20000).

I have had a look around some UK sites as those are the ones I am familiar with, based on the pricing you are probably going to be looking at an MSI board. The majority of Z490 boards from Gigabyte and Asus (unless you can find a deal somewhere) are INR24000+

The MSI Z490 A-Pro looks like a good option for the budget: Z490-A PRO (msi.com)

For maximum compatibility I would buy RAM that is listed on the MSI Support list for that board: MSI Global

#10 ·
I doubt any board other than really cheap rubbish is going to restrict your CPU in anyway. Most of them are very similar when you look at the detail, they can vary with things like number of USB ports, different onboard Audio / video.

When I look at the H410 A-Pro vs the Z490 A-Pro the key differences I see are:

H410 supports less max RAM (64Gb compared to 128Gb on the Z490)
H410 has 1x PCIe x16 slot where the Z490 has 2
H410 has 1x PCIe x1 slot where the Z490 has 3
H410 has a generic Intel Network (released 2015) card where the Z490 has a Realtec (released 2018) which is , but both are specced at up to 2.5Gb
H410 has 4x rear USB ports, the Z490 has 2
H410 is a smaller board (micro ATX) and the Z490 is ATX. This is only really relevant if you are putting it in a micro ATX case.
H410 has 2x front USB ports, the Z490 has 4
H410 has 4x SATA III interfaces, the Z490 has 6
The Z490 supports overclocking so has a much wider RAM speed support range, if you are not overclocking this isn't important.
H410 has 2x Gen1, Type A USB 3.2 ports on the rear. The Z490 1x Gen 1 Type C and 4x Gen 1 Type A

These sort of differences are the typical things you will see from one board / chipset to another. i.e number of Ports, number of slots, RAM support etc. Neither of them (or any of the others to be honest) are likely to restrict / impact your CPU speed. If the process you are doing needs the speed the board will provide it so its all the 'added extras' that are the things to consider.

If you don't need the extra ports, extra SATA III interfaces, PCIe Slots etc then the H410 is a perfectly good option.

#11 ·
but i see vids and ssome reviews online that the mobo is quite important to supply the power to the cpu to be able to achieve the higher frequencies on all cores when reqd.. maybe not just the tdp that might fry the cpu on a cheaper mobo but also the power it can get from the mobo.. is that true?

#12 ·
As long as you run the processor at stock speed and voltage, you are not going to fry it. With that said, a cheap board is not going to be as stable when running at boost or turbo speed.
I am not a fan of budget boards however that is my personal opinion. I much prefer a board with heavy duty pw regulation, extra chipset cooling, heavy duty capacitors, steel video card slots, etc. Again just an opinion.

#13 ·
programs i use will take it to turbo speed for long durations i feel and looking at the current usage how my quad core at times maxes out and goes to a use of 200% and everything goes crazy.. so a b460 vs z490 ? i think the z490s only have more slots, features etc against the b460 .. looks like the sinks and thermals also are similar maybe.. dont know the vrm differences.. what do you think which makes more sense (extra slots and features < cheaper mobo)

#16 ·
That one looks decent. When I evaluate a motherboard as to whether or not to purchase, one of the first things I look at are the number of bios updates and how close together are those updates. Bios updates to support new processors or to update AGESA are fine however when you see a lot of updates that address compatibility issues, memory issues, etc, that points at a motherboard with a basic design problem that the mfg is attempting to fix/patch with bios updates.

When you see a bios update that addresses a given issue and two weeks later another update addressing the same issue, I would stay away from that board.

#17 ·
yes this one has had usb 2.0 issues when checking reddit.. but seem to have been resolved with the latest update..
but wouldnt having a good cooling mechanism.. water cooler or fans .. gammax etc for cooling the cpu and investing less in the motherboard resolve the issue too of using the cpu at max turbo speed on all cores?

because the cooling is still needed at that level even if you have an expensive board too

#18 ·
You are really overthinking this issue. The coolers that come with an AMD processor are pretty decent. If you go intel [and you intend on running the processor hard] then you should probably go with liquid cooling.

If you just get a quality AMD board and run the processor at stock speed, the included AMD cooler will be fine [unless you are running this system in a room with high ambient temp or something like that]

Processors are designed to run at their stock speed so it is not really a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.