1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need MS DOS HP Printer Driver

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by gbmktg, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

I have a 1996 computer. I have a HP Deskjet 712C that I woul;d like to use with it. I need the driver on a floppy disc. Any ideas?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

The earliest drivers I can find are for NT4. Unless someone else can source them, I think you're out of luck. I'm curious, though: why on earth would you want to resurrect such an old machine?

3. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

I use the machine as my point of sale in my store. It still works fine. I hope I can find a driver so I can print reports, etc.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I'd think that the drivers for POS printing would already be in the POS software. Which platform does the POS run on? DOS?
    If memory serves me right then I'd say that DOS didn't have a centralized printing/printer driver. Each application had their own printers) build in. Mostly printers were set to emulate one type of printer or another. I believe EPSON were one of the most popular.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are many DOS printer emulation softwares out there that'll allow you to print from a DOS program to a Windows printer. However, I've never used one so I can't recommend one.

5. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

Yes, the computer is MS DOS. I plugged the printer in and got nothing. I need a driver I'm sure, just don't
    know where to find one.

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, the printer options would be created in the DOS software. THere really is no way, as far as I know, to "create" a DOS driver. WHat do you have under printing/printers options in the POS system?

7. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

Not sure how to find that information.

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Truly, I think you're not going to get anywhere with this. If the PoS system won't print directly to this printer, I'm guessing there's no way to amend it.

9. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

Ok, well thanks for your thoughts.

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    There will have to be some kind of printer/print menu somewhere. As we can't know, since we don't know which POS system, where to find that information, it's practically impossible to assist you.

THere may be others who can help? I certainly can't do anymore.

Can you, for curiosity's sake give the name of the POS system?

Well, I wish you luck in your search to find a solution.

11. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

This is a custom system from a company called PostalMate. I'm not sure how to find out what POS system it uses.

12. gbmktg

gbmktg Thread Starter

Shipping the printer back. If anyone knows where I can get a Deskjet 400 that will work, let me know.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!