1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need MS Office Product Key Viewer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I know there are free utilities that allow one to extract a Microsoft Office product key from a running copy of Office; but, I haven't found one.

Need suggestions/links.

Running MS Office 2000.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

http://www.product-key.com/keyfinders/office 2000-product-key.htm

But I would hesitate to say that it works, as I have never tried it.

As Office 2000 encrypted the key (unlike earlier or later versions) most common utilities such as Magic Jellybean and Belarc et al will not work.

Hence I am less than confident of the above link, even though its only $6...

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks, but it's an evaluation version; it doesn't give you the entire key, only the first two groups.

There are several on the 'net like that.

I may have found something that will, though--Belarc Advisor. I'll know how accurate it is when I attempt to reinstall.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Belarc is apparently not able to extract the Office 2000 key, as already mentioned in my post, unless a recent release has corrected that.

And I did note that the one in the link is a paid ($6) version, I was not suggesting that the evaluation copy would be the answer.... That it gives the start of the key in the evaluation copy does suggest it may work however?

5. Augie65

Augie65

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The difference with Office 2000 is that it encrypts the key, hence many of the common utilities cannot retrieve it.

That was not the case for earlier and later versions of Office, it is peculiar only to Office 2000

8. Alex Ethridge

I'll give those a try.

Thanks.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I note that the free Keyfinder will do Office 2000 now as long as Office 2000 SP2 is installed. Looks like that may be the best pick....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice