1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need MTS to MPG converter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Are there any free MTS to MPG converters?

I've downloaded several and find that all this "free download" stuff is trial cripple-ware, even when I include the term "freeware". I'm looking for fully-functional software. I'll buy one if I have to; but, I would like to find a free one if possible.

I've tried Adobe Premiere Elements 9; but, if it will do it, I cannot figure out how.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends on what codecs were used to create the MTS files and what ones you want to use to create the MPG's. There are many choices. Converters contain the codecs to create a file, but you need to know and have installed the codec that created the sound and images in the MTS files before they can be decompressed. File endings are an unreliable guide to file type, and nearly every video format has multiple possible codecs used. AVI's, for exmple can be any of maybe 15 different file types.

Video converters can determine what codecs were used and what you need automatically, so the file ending is irrelevant. Total Video Converter has never failed me once despite having converted some fairly bizarre file types, from .ts to DVD's, and allowed conversion to any other type for which codecs existed. However, the codecs themselves sometimes have internal limitations, such as specific aspect ratios, DPI requirements, FPS restrictions, and so on, that make perfect copies impossible, but that can often be adjusted to acceptable quality.

3. Alex Ethridge

Ahgggg! This is frustrating because I know almost nothing about this. I thought all MTS was the same or at least alike enough that this wouldn't be so complicated. Is there possibly a for-pay commercial program that might handle all of these, like maybe Adobe Premiere Elements?

I tried Premiere; but, it either won't do it or I don't know how to make it do it.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there some place you can give me a link to so I can download an MTS and examine it?

MTS may very well be all one format. But the thing is that you don't know that to be the case. As you know, people can use any 3-letter file endings they want for their own products, so it could be almost meaningless, or even be a more common format actually.

EDIT: I found an MTS clip. I'll check it out. But it would still help if I had a small clip of one of yours to be sure they were the same.

5. Alex Ethridge

6. Alex Ethridge

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I checked out yours and another I got off the net. Both were mp2t, MPEG-2 Transport Stream, according to GSpot codec analyzer.

Both played perfectly in Windows Media Player.

I dropped the one I got from the net into E.M. Total Video Converter and converted it to MPEG1. It worked, but a bit grainy. Sound worked, too. Changes in codec settings may have made it better.

I dropped yours in the same converter and went for MPEG-2. It came out perfectly clear with sound as an MPG, but it was a little too narrow - the people were tall and skinny. But the codec has size adjustments, so I could redo it from the default and have it come out OK.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Converted again to MPEG2 using 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 4:3 and it came out perfectly.

I never even wanted to know anything about all this stuff, but when I needed to do something like this, I learned. It is easier than it all looks at first and amazing how much you can do. You may even come to enjoy it, too. The right tools make all the difference.

9. Alex Ethridge

I'm trying to do the same as you and, evidently, I am missing something. The E.M. Total Video Converter doesn't recognize the MTS as a format it can convert.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It takes quite a while for that program to actually pop up a window, so I always assumed it was scanning the system to see what codecs were available for it to use for conversion. You probably don't have it installed. I'll see what I can find.

Some people have also been able to play them just by changing the file ending to MPG.

11. Alex Ethridge

I think I downloaded an old version. I just found a page that has 3.7. I think the one I downloaded was version 2-something.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I have 3.7-something.

If you haven't gotten anywhere, try the FFDShow MPEG-4 Codec. I think it will do the job, but if not, it is nevertheless a very useful codec with support for many types of video that I think most people should have, anyway.

13. Alex Ethridge

Version 3.7 has the MTS codec. I'm practicing with the program at present.

You've been a great help. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

It turned out all that talk about codecs was unneeded. But I'd suggest getting GSpot codec appliance for identifying what codecs a file uses just for future reference.

Good luck.

15. Alex Ethridge

I did -- thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice