1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need network help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billh2, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billh2

billh2 Thread Starter

From a guy who spent most of his networking life with a Novell IPX system I now find myself with a nightmare. A 50 user Windows Peer-to-Peer network. I have a shiny new Poweredge 2600 server with Windows 2003 but due to circumstances beyond my control, migrations has been slow.

I have Two issues I really could use some help with:
    1) How to resolve conflicting IP addresses? The error says to use nbtstat. Apparently I am missing something.

2) I am getting some errors about various workstations declaring themselves "Master Browsers" How do I designate one to be the master browser and tell the other ones to shut up. ;>) (There are five workgroups in the P2P part of the network.) Also, one workstation is trying to become the domain controller???

Everything is on either Windows 2000 or XP.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Hi Bill,

There isn't quite enough info in your post to paint a clear picture of what your problems really are.

So, you've got a network with 50 boxes on it. What kind of IP address space is available? One way to tell is to look at the network mask on a working machine.

Is there a DHCP server in use? Is the new server also attempting to serve DHCP?

The 5 work groups; is there are reason for 5, or were they created by the users themselves?

The machine that is attempting to become a domain controller probably has the server version of windows 2000, or XP or whatever on it. You probably want the new server to be an active directory domain controller, and get rid of the work groups. That means all machines must be changed to connect to the new domain, rather than the workgroups they've been connecting to. You'll need to hunt down the offending machine to disable the domain controller setup...

Google for "domain controller" and/or "active directory" configurations, and read a bunch of them to get a good feel for what kind of configuration makes sense for your installation.

Good Luck,

-Scott

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

1. If you are having IP conflicts then likely one of two things is happening. Either there are two computers with the same static IP address entered, or there are two devices set up to provide IP addresses. You can just open a cmd prompt and run IP config on each computer to see where the conflict lies. You should also be getting a pop-up window on the two computers that are conflicting. Without more information on how the IP address information is being assigned, it is difficult to provide a solution. With so few computers, I generally just statically enter the IP address info and keep track on a central computer. It really isn't that hard and certainly helps avoid these types of situations. I've seen quite a few instances where DHCP just doesn't work like it is supposed to. Not often but enough to not always depend on it.

2. Only a Server that is set up as a domain controller can become a domain controller. This would either be NT4, Windows2000 or Windows2003 server. XP or Windows2000 Pro can't be a domain controller. They can be a Master Browser. This can be turned off in Win98 but not sure how to do this with 2000 or XP. If you do have a true server, eventually (after a 1/2 hour or so, it should be the master browser anyway). Also, where are these "errors" showing up.

4. billh2

billh2 Thread Starter

Everything is static IP addressed. When I took over, there was no record which addresses were in use, one of the first things I did was to create this record. Not using DHCP. I think maybe I solved that issue anyway.

Apparently, one of my Windows 2000 professional workstation systems informed the 2003 Server that it was the domain controller. The error was in the 2003 Sever event log. They argued about it, and the 2003 server won.

This network is 50 users in a very busy Law Firm. Migrating everyone from the Peer to Peer BS to the server WITHOUT down time is somewhat of a challenge. (Sometimes I wish being an auto parts salesman paid as much ;>)
    Thanks
    Bill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice