1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need new computer recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medic17506, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

I am in the process of bidding out jobs for building me a new business computer. I am going from a laptop as my primary computer to a PC and downsizing my laptop so essentially having my primary as my pc and then a low-end laptop for travel.

I do QuickBooks consulting full-time whereas I have QB 2010 down through QB 2009 or so therefore need virtual machines to run XP. Also use the full line of MS Office and quite frequently have multiple apps open a once. I need to be able to reproduce issues that my customers are facing when they call in as to make recommendations to fix it...the majority of my customers are buying Windows 7 comps with 64 bit OS...

Here is what I want out of this new machine...I want something that is going to last me for the next 4-5 years and is upgradable if need be perhaps more RAM if needed. Need a minimum of dual monitor would like to increase to possibly 4. I wants something that will handle everything that I throw at it without hesitation and will continue to be a good system as the years pass on that can grow with me. Outside of business apps...I enjoy picture and video editing on a small scale.

So far I have a couple of bids here locally, here is one of them:

Coolermaster Elite Case
    HP DVD Burner
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
    Western Digital 640gb HD
    Rosehill Card Reader
    Crucial 4gb DDR3 Memory
    Asus Pro Motherboard
    Windows 7 Pro Software
    Logitech Wirless Mouse & Keyboard
    for $934.54

Is this price reasonable? Would you make additional recommendations? I'm open for suggestions, I want to get a good system if I'm going back to a PC...

Thanks,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I assume you are in the states , I would look at the newegg site and see what you get for $1000
    DVD burner will be standard - but if you want to get something with a lot of storage you could look at a a bluray writer - I have one on my sony laptop - and to be honest never used to write only playHD - but who knows 4 years time the media could be really cheap and make backup easier
    card readers are cheap and common
    Harddrive - you can get USB or network drives very cheaply - as a means of storage
    the 640 HD - do you know the speed ?

do you know the exact processor ?
    Also do you know the graphics card

this machine has a quad processor, only 250GB harddrive and is under $1000
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147414

so i think we need a little more on the specs

Processor
    Memory and type
    Harddrive and speed
    Graphic card
    would be the main items to start and compare

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice