1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need new slide-show viewing software. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jrx10, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

When WMP goes into the full-screen mode it has annoying toolbars/controls still viewable. I've got an old program back from the win98 days called easy photo and you have to import your jpg's from their folder into it's own gallery and it's slow & funky. Roxio uses way too many resources just to view a simple slideshow.
    I've been reading about Google's Picasa, but I'm somewhat hesitant to install anything Google anymore since most anything Google wants to dial home constantly which is one of the reasons I usually keep WMP blocked with my firewall. I just want something light to view my slideshows on my auxillary flat-panel with nothing but the pics on the monitor, while listening to music and while when I'm surfing the 'net on my main monitor. Above all, I don't want the program constantly trying to dial-out home and playing havoc with my firewall.​

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    picasa is a great program. why picasa would want to dial anything i dont understand. i use it all the time when i want to resize pix and its never dialed anything to my knowledge. course im on roadrunner. havent had dialup in years.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    you might want to check under tools internet options connections never dial a connection put a check by it if it isnt already checked.

4. AQuickE

AQuickE Banned

5. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

Sorry, Dial-out is just an expression, I've been on HSI for years. Dial-out = Constantly try to connect to the programs home servers (after you've initially registered the program) even with any auto-updates turned off (ie WMP, Mcafee, KAV, some FX add-ons) or if it has any crap software tagged on to it like the junk toolbars that constantly dial-out and which you can't opt out to install initially. Thx for the suggestions. I'll give Picasa & ArtSee a try and see if they're quiet, and if not I'll Image back to my OS partition before the installs. thx again.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    as far as junk toolbars when u install a program that offers u that crap if u have the option of unchecking it do so. i have programs that offer that and i basically say no and dont have a problem. hope this helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice