Need opinions. Anyone who owns a Toshiba Satellite laptop please read

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kyta

Anyone who owns a Toshiba Satellite laptop, can you just tell me about your experience with the laptop? Basically, has it been positive or negative? Were you happy with it after you had bought it? Was it worth the money? Is it very durable? Will you take it just about anywhere without worrying about it breaking?

Thanks for any responses

Have owned 2 Toshibas. Have owned two other brands as well.

All were fine. Remember that there are only 3 or 4 makers of laptops anyway (a lot of rebranding probably happens).

Any mainstream brand should work fine.

As for durability, thats very subjective. What one person thinks is normal use, another will think is excessively hard and yet another will consider it light duty. Therefore you cannot rely on such a broadly based question for a reliable answer.

I have never broken one yet, but if you are going to be carrying it around a lot, then there are 2 rules:

1. Get a good carry bag/case with protection

2. Buy the lightest laptop you can find (which will cost a LOT more by the way)

psshh... i've got a toshiba satalite at the moment, very nice and under a thousand dollars. it's quick (for a 2.6ghz celeron with only 512mb) and does pretty good using photoshop and whatnot. however, it sucks at games... really badly. but it's been good though.

My dad just bought a toshiba. Had to return 2 in a row (he's on his third - crossing fingers). I don't like them.

As was said before there aren't too many manufacurers of notebook chassis, mb etc and most use good quality componants. What differs is the testing the unit goes through affter manufacture and the ram, hd etc that the oem manufacturer puts in the chassis. I would assume that a name brand (toshiba, dell, etc) would give the units a thorough test before despatch but like with most things, it can still go bad. Our units go through rigorous testing before despatch plus 24 hours burn testing yet we will still get a few back from the customer stating that they were u/s when they unpacked them.

Joey

I've had my Toshiba laptop for a year and a half and have not had one problem. I find they are fairly durable, the screens are nice and the price is pretty good. I have the Satallite 1900 with a 1700 MHZ P4. The only thing is my model comes with a desktop P4 chip, so it sucks a lot of power. I usually get an hour and 15 minutes with heavy use. I would recommend getting a Centrino chip. The MHZ are clocked lower but don't let this fool you. A Centrino processor is the most power efficient, so you get the highest battery times possible. Also, a Centrino clocked at 1200 MHZ gives you the performance of a 1800 MHZ desktop P4 chip. The Satallite I have is also very big and heavy. Other than that it is very reliable am am totally happy with it. I own a computer repair store and find these computers in particular do not break down as much compared to a Compaq or other laptops made by the big companies. Im pretty sure you'll be happy with a newer model. If you need durability, the I would say on a scale of 1 to ten, the durability would be a 7. If you want a 10 go for a Panasonic TuffBook. There very sturdy and very reliable. I had one I dropped onto concrete from standing height and all is it got was a scratch. It still runs perfect today.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts