1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need opinions on home networking equipment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bcon76, Jan 21, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I have 2 machines that I will be networking. First machine:

Durron 900
    WinXP pro
    1500k cable internet

2nd machine:
    Durron 750
    WinME

One of the main concerns is internet connection sharing. In another post a linksys switched router was recomended over a hub sighting bandwith alocation. I have found 2 sets of hardware that I think will suit my needs. So in you opinion(s) would you go with Linksys Etherfast Switched Network in a Box(10/100) found Here for $76 or Linksys Fast Ethernet (10/100) in a box (containing a hub) found Here for $89?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

you don't say whether your internet connection is a single IP or not - i assume it's a single dynamic IP (typical cable connection)

router hands down

single NIc in each machine
    - hub needs 2 NIC in server PC

as long as the router is on - either PC can connect
    (hub needs server PC to be on for client PC to connect)

router easily handles the lan addressing through software provided
    - don't need PC software add on

and the list could go on - but it won't ;)

i initially tried a hub
    - double NIC in server went ok but windows ICS was sporadic, sygate software was good but has a price attached over and above the hardware cost
    - having server PC on when client PC needed was a pain at times

(SMC) router works great
    connect it, load software, run through the set up, leave it alone

just my $0.02 (cdn) worth

3. bcon76

Yes it is a single IP.

Your points sound logical to me. It is strange how the router kit is less then the hub.

So the main point is that if you are going to share an internet connection then a router makes more sense. Let me just make sure that I understand everything. With a router I can use my internet connection with both computers at the same time, or one at a time and I only need to have the router and the computer I want to use powered up at that point. In other words I don't have to utilize Internet Connection Sharing through my XP machine. Also, the two computers are seen as a single IP for purposes of internet connection. Is all of this correct?

Thanks.

4. bcon76

Need one other thing carified. Bare with me, I'm new at this.

jbcalg, or anyone else. That router, as you speak of it, would need to also be a cable/dsl router correct? I don't think the linksys in the kit I mention is. If not would I still want to go with the router? Or, in this case, if there is a huge benefit in going with a router maybe I should just save my pennys.

Thanks again.

On the other hand, it looks like I just answered my own question about the dsl/cable looking at the diagram Here . But if anyone has a minute I would still appreciate it if you could make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

;) well i don't usually get nekkid till the 3rd post, and it's a little chilly up north here - but i will if you will ;)

router - 4 or 5 ports plus wan/uplink to the modem (your link is to a 5 port)
    = up to 5 Pcs connected at one time
    = only router + PC(s) accessing internet needs to be powered on (router should be on separate power connection and not switched on and off - like the cable/dsl modem)
    = no ICS or other software needed (except set up admin software that comes with the router) for the connection
    = modem reads wan IP from the router (uses the same IP as if modem connected directly to single PC, cable usually uses DHCP for dynamic IPs)
    = router handles lan IPs assigned to each PC (the set up software handles this stuff usually)
    ==> seen as single IP accessing the 'net

the router link you have is to a cable/dsl router as you found out

other sites to visit:
    <u>practically networked</u>
    <u>helmig's world of windows networking</u>
    <u>cablesense internet sharing</u>

and also <u>dslreports</u> for before and after set up and especially speed tweaking

there'll be a test after :)

6. bcon76

You funny guy, har har:)

It's about 41 degrees F here in Wisconsin. (Hotter then the Packers played yesterday) It's like summer almost so I don't have to far to go to get "nekkid". Obviously I'm new at spelling today too.

Thanks for all the help and explanation though. I can see clearly now.

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

a seasonal 35 degrees or so today, in the 40's tomorrow

ouch looks like the packers didn't have a great day yesterday

saw the last 1/4 of the ne/oakland game - could of called it the snow-ball - still not sure about the contraversial call though but the pats sure hung in there

enjoy your network
    (ummm but don't tell the cable guys if you have to call for tech support or anything - likely want more money)

8. F-EMDE

F-EMDE

jbcalg & bcon76

I am new at this networking but let me tell you what I did:
    I have 2 computers running Win98se setting about 1 foot apart. about 3 months ago I purchased a Hub (NETGEAR EN104tp) and ever sence then I have been trying to get everything to work.This is how it is connected together. One NIC card in each PC connected to ports 2 & 3 of the Hub with stright through cables. The cable modem is connected to port 4 (UpLink Port) of the Hub with a stright through cable. All of the "SHARING" and "DRIVERS" was set up in both computers. Both computers had access to the internet at the same time or by them selves but I couldn't get the computers to talk to each other ("SHARING"). I read everthing I could on this site but I couldn't find an example hook up just like mine. I ran across a artical talking about protocols so I installed one more protocol "NetBEUI", now everthing works, the computers share files & printers and I have ZoneAlarm on both systems. If I can help anyone with my limited knowledge let me know.
    Fred

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

interesting
    that should NOT work the way you have it set up :)

usually in a hub set up (the ones i've seen diagrammed and the one i had originally), the server PC has 2 NICs
    - one to the cable/dsl modem
    - one to the hub

the client PC has one NIC to the hub

the server PC needs to be on for the hub (and internet) connection to work
    (one of the main drawbacks of the hub set up IMO)

glad you looked into netbuie for a sharing protocol rather than tcp/ip - much safer

cool

10. F-EMDE

F-EMDE

Interesting what you said about TCP/IP protocol because I have both NetBEUI & TCP/IP loaded on both my computers. The systems are working fine but do you think I sould delete TCP/IP from the systems ?
    Fred

11. jbcalg

jbcalg

[edit - had a friend with last name of buie, correcting all the misspelled netbeui - LOL]

the netbeui and tcp/ip protocols discussion has been ongoing for some time (specific to file & print sharing on networks accessing the internet)

for one (fairly strident) opinion, check out <u>steve gibson's</u> site and run some of his security tests:
    <u>shields up - nanoprobe</u> will test you're stealthiness on the 'net

there's quite a bit in the section on ports and what should, and shouldn't be accessible
    -basically suggesting only using tcp/ip for net access but netbeui for file/print sharing on your local network

judgement call really, have to make up your own mind on this one, it's a little tricky binding and unbinding the different protocols, not to mention the constant rebooting that Windows wants

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice