1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need opinions on Win2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by twisted_mind, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Thread Starter

I'm thinking of upgrading to Win2K, but am not sure about how wise it would be for me....
    I have a P-III 733 MHz system with a 80 GB HDD, Intel 810E mobo and 128 MB SD RAM. Currently running Win98SE. I've heard that a lot of games don't run on win2k....i would be playing many games released in the last 4 years....not the very latest ones because of their high system requirements.
    Also i use the pc for browsing....so all the stuff like anti virus software ( NAV 2003, Mcafee 7), etc also come in the picture.
    Is it good for me to do the upgrade? I used to think win2k was meant for business people....i use the pc for everyday desktop needs like internet surfing, playing games, listening to songs....
    And can i just install win2k over the windows directory on my C: drive.....i mean, i did the same thing to upgrade from win98 to win98 SE. the win2k cd i'll be using is borrowed from a friend, and its not an 'upgrade' cd, but a full install cd.
    I'm quite happy with my current windows installation......everything seems to be just fine....but the win2k thing is just an itch....u know what i mean....i rarely learn without shooting myself in the foot :D
    With regards,
    umesh

2. wedor

wedor

And there's the problem, we can't help you with illegal software.

3. twisted_mind

yeeoooowww.....well i'm sorry for that...n there's no excuse for piracy...but i didnt mean to ask how do i go about installing win2k. i just wanted to know 'if i can install it over my existing win directory'.
    secondly i wanted opinions on win2k...general consensus whether it is suitable for a casual desktop environment like mine....
    Anyways if u r a moderator on this site n want to block the post, its fine. I'll accept that,
    ne

4. twisted_mind

sorry for the incomplete post.
    ok anyways forget it.....i see tens of posts everyday asking help on how to use kazaa n other p2p apps....those get actual helpful replies.....
    Thanks for the eye-opener! :)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you plan on playing games, I'd get LOTS more memory and Windows XP if you're bent on upgrading. Many folks think that W98 is better for playing games anyway...

I'm not a game player, so I can't really say if all of this is true. :D

6. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

umesh
    The main difference with Kazaa\P2P apps and the use of a borrowed Windows Install CD is pretty straight forward.

The borrowed Windows Install CD is being used for Installation of the application on your system which would make two systems using the same product key. This is illegal! If you borrowed the W2k install CD to Overinstall or Reinstall you current W2K installation or you needed some program files off it for your current W2K system then that is not illegal!

Kazaa and other P2P applications are file share applications. Yes they can be used for downloading copyright music or copyright programs but it can also be used for sharing non-copyright items. The mere possesion of a P2P app is not illegal it is how it is used that makes it so.

Dave

8. Retehi

Retehi

9. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

it may come with it. To access the compatibility settings, right-click the EXE file and click on the compatibility tab.

Take a look at the image (the only option you wouldn't have in 2000 is the Windows 2000 option):
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. twisted_mind

Thankx guys for the replies..
    ummm.....Davey....i agree with what u said...but as shameless as i sound while saying this, there's no way i can go out n buy a copy of win2K or for that matter any O.S. I'm not trying to justify myself, but that's the fact!Here in India unless u buy a branded pc, every single software that comes either on demand or pre-installed, is pirated......Assemblers are only too glad to install whichever software u want to make the customer happy!
    About kazaa n other p2p apps, well.....sharing copyright material is what they r basically used for! How many of us actually use them for sharing 'non-copyright' stuff?? :)
    Anways back to the my post...thankx for all the comments... One last lil nag....can i just install win2k over my existing 98? i'm too lazy to reinstall all my software n games all over again.
    with regards,
    umesh

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Umesh
    Yes I agree most use P2P apps for illegal activity but I do not know what they are using it for since I am not there next to them or they tell me that is what they are doing as in your case.
    That is very unfortunate in your country you do not have access to legit software. Seems a real shame since many there I assume would purchase it for their own if they could.
    However as you know helping someone with Pirated software is Illegal activity at TSG so I cannot allow this topic to continue. I will have to close the thread.

Dave

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!