1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Port Forwarding Help Please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lf84, May 24, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. lf84

lf84 Thread Starter

I'm having problems a game I play on ps4 crashing and disconnecting. it only happens on one game but internet works fine for everything else. I've been told I need to open ports but am Unable to create a static ip. any help would be appreciated. My isp tech support will not do it for me and neither will EA tech support. The game is Apex Legends.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    WHich device are you trying to give a static IP? Which type of router?
    You could, probably, create a "Dedicated" DHCP entry in your router for that device. Meaning that it'll get the same IP everytime. How depends on the router. But as a general rule you'll enter the MAC address of the device on the DHCP server page and assign an IP to that MAC.
    Then you can forward whichever ports to that IP.

3. lf84

lf84 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply! It's my ps4 I'm having the problem with, but only on one game. The modem is a technicolour DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway. But for some reason when I try to open the network adapter on my pc nothing happens. I can open network and sharing center and then get into adapter settings, but when I try to right click on my lan connection to go into properties nothing happens. I click properties but nothing opens. Do I have to set a static IP on my actual router, or on the ps4 itself?

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well. You could do as I suggested and set an IP reservation on the router for the mac address of your PS4. Or you can go to the settings of the PS4 and set the static ip there. Just make sure that it is outside of the DHCP scope used by your router.
    If you're not able to view the Nic properties on your pc? That is an issue. But not really related to this though. I will assume - because it's used by 99.9% of every pc attached to a home network, that your pc is using DHCP to get its ip.

If you look at the router manual you should be able to find out how to assign a IP reservation. I'd do it but don't have time right now. If you go with option 2 - the Static IP - you'll have to look at the DHCP scope in the router anyway. In order to find an IP outside of the scope. You also may have to change the scope to exclude a block of available addresses. For instance; If the scope says X.X.X.2 - X.X.X.254 (x.x.x represents the first 3 numbers in your Ip scope) Then you'd have no more addresses available. So you could change it to x.x.x.25 - x.x.x.254. That'd give you 24 addresses to assign to other devices. Or, do it the other way and change it to X.X.X.2 - X.X.X.200. Then you'd have 54 addresses to assign.
    I'm sure you get the idea.

I will look at the manual within the next few days if I need be. Just let me/us know what you've done yourself. I'm sure you can figure it out from here. If not? Then leave a reply and I'll get back to you.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    On your computer, go to Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all and then post the results here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice