1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reelnative, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reelnative

reelnative Thread Starter

I need a external hard drive to take with me from office to office to home. My needs are around 30-40 gig to carry the programs I need and to back up my personal documents. What would some of you recomend, I am assuming it would be USB, I saw some cases that you put a hard drive in but wondered if thats the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

RN

2. dlbeck

dlbeck

3. bigbear

bigbear

Getting an external drive for data is not a problem,
    You mention programs, can you be more specific what you mean by this.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remember that many USB powered drives require two USB ports to provide enough power. In addition, some laptops won't power them correctly, another concern. I'd make sure your portable drive has provisions for an external supply, even though it's USB powered. :)

5. reelnative

reelnative Thread Starter

The program's I would be using are office and some photo software, I would prefere something with an external power source if that means it will be faster.

6. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

The Western Digital Passprt external USB hard drives are very compact and powered from 2 USB ports only.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=199

They do have provision for a PSU connection as well, Sizes run from around 40GB to at least 100GB I believe. The drive I have fits in my pocket. I'm very pleased with it.

hth

Ceri

7. DixVal

DixVal

Help Please.

I just bought an external hard drive. 80GB Essential Edition USB 2.0 interface. Ad said... just plug in. SURE. I set it up & a wizard came up. The end result: Cannot install this Hdwe. The driver cannot be installed because it is either not digitally signed or not signed in the appropriate manner. I did the "write a signature" thing but when "Initialize & convert disk wizard" was to come up IT DID NOT. I am running XP pro & am on a two computer network. I am the client. I unplugged from my USB port & now when I reconnect it NOTHING happens. :mad: Anyone have an answer? Thanks & have a good one. Val

8. JohnWill

YOu should NOT have to install any drivers for a USB mass storage device on XP. Try this and then connect it again.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

9. DixVal

DixVal

Thanks John,
    If I screw this up will a system restore put me back to where I am now? I'll have to pull out the tower but think the only USB port in use (other than in front my camera card reader) is my scanner. I, just for fun, plugged this hdd into another computer with OS 98 2nd edition & it wanted to search for software to find a driver also. Again, thanks for taking your time! Val

10. kjh4eyes

kjh4eyes

For an external drive you might look around for an old drive you already have. I salvaged two drives, one from an old desktop and one from an old laptop. The laptop drive I put into an ACC10790 - Sabrent 2.5" USB 2.0 External Aluminum Drive Case I got from www.surpluscomputers.com. This drive runs off of the power of my current noebook computer via USB. It came with a cable that was designed to plug into an extra USB drive to provide extra power if needed. The desktop drive I put into an ACC10826 - Sabrent 3.5" Aluminum USB 2.0 External Enclosure ECS that does require an external power cord (provided). I also bought this from surpluscomputers.com. This is a very inexpensive solution and saves an old hard drive from extinction.

11. JohnWill

Create a restore point right before doing the process, then try it. If something goes wrong, you can restore back to where you were prior to the modifications.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice