1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need program for testing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by belveder, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. belveder

belveder Thread Starter

I just just installed a program called Hard Disk Sentinel which had good reviews etc

and it is saying that my IDE drive (what I use for my OS) is only running at 43% health which is a good reason for problems I have been having.

The thing is, like doctors on serious matters I like to get a second opinion, so can anyone recommend another program that I can use to test my hard drives

2. norton850

norton850

Not totally sure what 43% health means, but go to the web site of your HD manufacturer and download the HD diagnostic program. It runs off a floppy.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Belveder, the problem you describe may be addressed by obtaining and running a very interesting program called HDDRegenerator.exe, this is available as a shareware program from http://www.dposoft.net/ and the downloaded file will enable a bootable CD or a bootable floppy to be made.
    I suggest trying making the bootable CD, then booting your machine on it. The regen program will ask which hard disk you wish to operate on then proceed as you direct. The interesting thing is that this program does not affect your files or other stuff on the drive but uniquely has an effect of detecting bad areas and fixing them.
    The shareware version will only fix one bad spot but can be run more than once (I believe) and may fix more. Running this program takes considerable time and many drives have dozens of bad spots so there is some consideration involved.
    This progam may be useful where data is on a drive but cannot be gotten in some cases due to all the bads, it does allow data recovery provided the drive has not been rearranged.
    Anyway see what you think. I am amazed at it!
    Cheers, qldit.

4. DCM1519

DCM1519

Spinrite might be what you are looking for. The link is

http://www.grc.com/

This will take you to a site that explains what it is and how it works.

I have it and while it takes a while to run, it appears to do a very thorough job.

5. dobbelina

dobbelina

Doesn't the program give you any hints on what's wrong ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/425398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice