1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Quick Help for Dell WinXP looping reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by libbyinabq, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. libbyinabq

libbyinabq Guest Thread Starter

The situation: This PC was not protected from virusues, etc, etc, for 2 years.

I wanted to delete both petitions, set up the one particition as active, format it and start clean to get everything back on in good shape..

Problem: The Dell install disk would only let me delete a tiny FAT particition of 40 mb but not the big one where all the propblems live.

In the next screen, Dell's CD told me I would be writing a duplicate program on top of a program and create problems. (That is a new one on me!) So I stopped the installation to think about it. Now when I turn it on, the PC starts and stops repeatedly. looping endlessly !! :eek:

I tried to get into the bios again to guide activity to a new Cd with a Winxp pro disk in it, but the F12 key command doesn't work (logo is being skipped), and the Dell PC ignores the XP pro CD anyway--it just keeps on restarting..........

How can I shake this Dell Dimeniosn 2350 PC out of it's daze? I can't return it to my friend this way!

Just for curiosity-----
    Why didn't it let me delete the main partition so i could totally destroy those bad files. It's breaking all the install rules I know!

Help would be apreciated--counting on some of you brains out there! :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a floppy drive?

Is the BIOS set to boot from CD as a first option (probably F2 or Del to enter BIOS setup)?

3. libbyinabq

libbyinabq Guest Thread Starter

yes I can--now what do I need on that floppy disk?

Thanks for reply

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice