Need quick help please!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crzycrkr

I start up my computer today and a whole bunch of regestry edits come up in ad-aware. I don't know why so I deny all the changes. Now just about every program on my computer wont work. Just about all my icons are gone and are just the little page with the foolded corner. Every time I try to open a program I get a message that says:Windows cannot open this file. Then gives me the options to go online to find the appropriated program to open it which it never does. The file extensions whenever I try to open something is .lnk. I am running XP pro sp2. Oh, I also can't even open system restore, that was the first thing I tried. Firefox is working though. Need quick help please. All help is greatly appreciated.

Might have to do a xp repair? have you tried reg clean?[if you have?] Any programs you might have to check .IM thinkin corrupted files?

crzycrkr

EVerything I download I can't get to run. It almost seems like windows doesnt know what it needs to open each program with. I am computer illiterate for the most part, so I don't know either.

crzycrkr

Not with me. I am on vacation in New York. Any other way you can think of? I really need access to my computer. Thanks for the help

Actually, I think my parents have a XP home disc. Would that help somehow?

crzycrkr

Anyone else out there have any ideas. I tried a repair with an XP disc, but I have the same problems. Help Please!!

jrbuergel

Jim
You can run the system file checker tool by clicking your start, run, then type in this here with that space there after the sfc, ( sfc /scannow ) which runs as Windows File Protection and will need your XP CD to copy needed files from too.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
A repair won't correct it, and a SFC won't correct it, because it is the file associations in the registry that are mangled, not missing or corrupt files.

crzycrkr

It was through Ad-watch and I don't think there is a quaranteen(sp?) area. I have searched the whole program. I am very close to just giving up and waiting till I get home so I can transfer over some of my files to another hard drive and just do a clean reinstall of windows. Unless anyone else has any ideas? Thnaks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you considered trying a system restore to a point when things were all working? You may need to type in the whole path into the Run line to get it to run. Do this.

Start, Run, and type the following line.

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If you can fire up restore, you should be able to recover.

crzycrkr

if I try that I still get the windows can not open this file message. I got it up at some point in this fiasco and the only dat i could see was from yesterday when all this stareted happening. I couldn't change the months either.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Remember that fresh install idea you had? Perhaps it's time to use it. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online