1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need quick help to get local security policy!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by go_solar, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. go_solar

go_solar Thread Starter

I have a new machine with vista ultimate, trying to access vista home computer on the network. Vista home does not have local security policy in admin tools, how can I get the "login failure" error resolved without being able to change who can access the computer? :confused:

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

And why can you not just go in and edit the users in Vista home?

EDIT:
    Read that again...are you asking how to change network authentication policies in Vista home?

3. go_solar

go_solar Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm not being very clear.

The computer that has Vista Ultimate SP1 will be the one we use as a file server. No one will be working on it, it will just store the common folders we all share on the network. The other computers (6 more of them) are running various versions of Vista and XP. One computer (Vista Home Premium SP 1) apparently has some kind of security set so the Ultimate Vista computer gets the following messgae: "Logon failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon." I read up on some forums and many of them suggest changing user settings in the "local security policy" area of administrator tools. How can I get the Home Premium computer to allow others to see it, without having the "local security policy" settings?

I could go on and on, but this is enough questioning for now...:eek:

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Would GPEDIT.MSC do this?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One can NOT run gpedit on a Home machine

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I misread the original post; reading it as a Vista Ultimate machine, which does have gpedit.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

Don't have a vista machine here to check but, if I remember right if you go into the network and sharing center you can enable and disable password protected login for network shares.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice