1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need re-partitioning help (I think)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stencil, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stencil

Stencil Thread Starter

Howdy all, I've been having a bit of a problem with my old PC: I keep running out of space (or getting really close) on my boot partition (did I use that term correctly? it's the partition of my hard drive where all the windows info is). When I bought this PC way back when a friend helped me set it up. At the time I had one 75 GB physical hard drive that he partitioned into a 20 GB and a 55 GB partition. He then installed windows on the 20 GB partition. It's worked fine, but it keeps running out of space since every program wants to store its information there (that and a some poor organization on my part). I've attempted to move any application I could to the other partition, or onto my new(er) 235 GB hard drive, but it just keeps filling up to the point where I now only have around 600 MB of free space on it. I'd like to re-partition it so that the windows partition is the 55 GB one (or get rid of the partitions on that drive all together [does it need to be partitioned?]), but I'm not quite windows-literate enough to do it without a little guidance....help? Thanks!

BTW: here's my sysinfo (if it doesn't just show up automatically...)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 664 MB; D: Total - 56258 MB, Free - 2758 MB; F: Total - 238409 MB, Free - 133579 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it has already been partitioned and you had a recovery partition on the drive instead of recovery disks, you have already lost access to it.

Partitioning is best done from a bootable CD when Windows is not running. Use the partition editor on the desktop after booting from this CD or USB key:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

============================================

Basically, you want to move the partition boundary to shrink the larger partition, and then enlarge the smaller partition. It's really very easy to do.

But as always, you should have everything backed up, just in case. If you have a second drive, you can make a copy of your entire hard drive (only as large as the data you have and not as large as the drives themselves). Then you can get back to where you are now. It is the best backup of everything, files, folders, Windows, settings, and everything else, that you can possibly have.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

There are also programs that work in Windows.

Partition Wizard (free home and business editions, no boot CD)

If you have a good backup of your files, it's fine to use one in Windows. But they are more prone to errors because they write a script and then execute the script on reboot. That is often where the problems occur (remember Partition Magic, that piece of junk?). But it is far easier, and if your system has no problems, it should work out all right.

Other than partitioning, if, for example, most of your files are in your Documents folder, you can create a new Documents folder on the other drive. Then, right-click your Docs folder and change the location in the box and it will move your douments to the new drive and change the registry so that the system knows where it is.

You could also create a new Program Files folder on the other drive and choose that location when you install new programs. Space will still be used on the system drive even if programs are installed to another drive, but not as much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!