1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need recommendation for a great photo upload program

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bj nick, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

We are taking 90 schoolkids on a trip to Catalina Island for three days and we want to upload photos every night for the families back home. Last year the person in charge did it with iphoto but the two of us doing it this year are PC people.

We need to be able to simply as possible load a folder of images (probably between 60-100 each night), batch resize them down so as to avoid a horribly long upload (the connection speed is a little slow on the island, we know from experience), and put them on a page. It doesn't have to be a web page per se; just a page where we can put a title, as in "Friday afternoon fun!" etc.

Programs like Picasa and others have been mentioned......any suggestions very much appreciated. A free program would be even more appreciated. :)

2. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

One other thing.......we are also running Twitter updates. Last year the guy put a Twitter link right on the photo page so that parents could follow/review Twitter messages....that would be a nice convenience.....

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Picasa is Free .. And you could also upload to a free Picasa web album for others to view as thumbnails or a slideshow.
    Using Picasa, you'll have a choice of the size of photo to upload to the album.

Attached Files:

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Since you know the dates of the photos .. You could build the Picasa albums before you leave ..
    Then add the photos as you take them.
    Then later, Link to them as Thumbnails or a Slide Show Display .. (Samples included)

One problem with a Slide Show display ..
    It's a continuous loop and it might be nice to create a cover photo so one can determine when it's at the beginning ... or end
    You could also do this before you leave.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've never played in Twitter and very little in Facebook.
    But I know that you can add Photo Albums to Facebook.
    If I was going to try this ... I'd Batch Resize the photos using the free Irfanview

Attached Files:

6. Peano

Peano Banned

You can batch-resize with IrfanView (free) and upload to a free account on ImageShack.

7. defianted

defianted

I also have Irfanview and it works fast on batch processing. Then upload them using Picasa.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Definitely Picasa. One click to do it all for free.

9. Soundy

Soundy

+1 for Picasa. You can create albums within the program, and have Picasa automatically sync changes to it (including picture edits, captions, face tags, and geolocation tags) with the web album. Picasa can open Google Maps in a sidebar and you can tag the locations of photos; it can also search faces in photos and allow you to attach names to them, after which it will recognize and tag those faces automatically in other pictures. All that info can be shown within the web albums. Picasa allows you to set the upload size for each album, so there's no need to resize them in another program first.

If you want to upload to Facebook as well, there's a plug-in for Picasa that adds a Facebook button to facilitate easy uploading, too. Pictures will be automatically resized as necessary to speed upload times, and photo captions will be uploaded as well (unfortunately it can't automatically tag photos with your Facebook friends).

10. EEV

EEV

I am working with bj nick on ths. It sounds like Picasa is a good possibility. We need to have the photo share site set up so that the photos cannot be downloaded for personal use. Is this possible with Picasa?

11. wowzer

wowzer

If it shows on your screen the printscreen key will always be a way to get it I believe.

12. Soundy

Soundy

There's always a way to save a photo if someone REALLY wants to... however, PicasaWebs albums DO allow you to disable direct (easy) downloading and linking of photos. It's not a function of the editing program itself, but of the web host.

13. Peano

Peano Banned

It isn't possible with anything. If a picture can be viewed on the screen, it can be saved on the computer.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm thinking Sharing will not be a problem for bj nick's application ...
    If someone posted a picture of my kid on Vacation, and I couldn't get a copy ... I'd be kinda upset.
    A Picasa web album can be setup for Private Viewing (unlisted) ... Only those with the link can see/find them.

15. EEV

EEV

edit..(This is in response to Peano's message ahead of Noyb's...I'm clearly new to this.)

Thanks..that makes sense. I believe the school requires that we use a blog that does not offer the download option. This will reduce the amount and frequency of downloading. We are also discouraged...if not prohibited...from using social networking sites for the photos. This is all to protect the kids as much as we possibly can.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice