1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need recommendation for home slide scanner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bj nick, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

My elderly father has a ton of old slides that he would like to digitize. I suggested we just sort them and then send them off to a service, but he is adamant about doing it himself. What I need is a simple-to-use (almost automatic, really) device that will get the job done for under $150. I have seen a bunch out there that don't even require a computer, but I don't see newer reviews of them. The quality needs to be good, but obviously for that money we don't expect what we'd get from a $800 scanner.

A nice feature would be if one could load multiple images at once.....we just want to get the images digitized so he can access them on the computer.

Any advice appreciated!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I dont think at $150 you will find an automatic processes - every slide will need to be previewed i suspect

going to take a lot of time

roughly how many is a ton? 100's/1000's/10000's

so they will only be viewed on a screen and never printed out -

to get good quality images you really do need to have a good scanner - but good will depend very much on what you want to do with the images at the end of the process

I dont know the US market but last time i looked into this for a client who has 2000 slides , it worked out much cheaper to have them done professionally then buying a scanner with a bulk loader

Nikon had always lead the way and you may be able to pickup a 2nd hand LS scanner

i used a nikon ls3 only issue it needs a scsi interface , but the later versions did work on USB

i think the LS-2000 had a bulk loader

i have seen flat bed scanners that will do multiple slides/negatives - but not had any experience of those

i think making sure what the scanned images will ever be used for is your first task - if printing what sort of size would be important to know - that would dictate the scan resolution, and the quality needed

Also dont forget you will need to store the images and have a couple of backups , which is a different subject completely on storage and recovering backup data

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Sorry to be unclear.......a "ton" means a couple of hundred, that's all. My dad would like to have them on the computer, and print out a few, none larger than 8.5 x 11.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so for 8.5 x 11 you need to set 300ppi - so thats a resolution of
    8,5 * 300 = 2550
    11 * 300 =3300

so thats to get good print quality (or the standard used )

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you. It shouldn't be difficult to find that capability. What I need is a simple, easy to use unit that hopefully can process more than one at a time. If such a unit winds up costing $400 or more, it just isn't worth it (which is what I keep telling my dad anyway...)

My father is pretty old and will get confused with technology that's at all complicated. He needs something where it's put it in the tray, push a button, review the results, repeat.

6. K7M

K7M

7. justcansin

justcansin

yeah, good info to me, easy to use unit that hopefully can process more than one at a time,thank you[​IMG]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice