Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Recommendation for Music Library Application

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  anamandy 
#1 ·
I’m looking for a way to catalogue all my music cds. What I need is a program that will look up the album so I don’t have to type anything, be able to organize it, and add the album art to ‘my music’ folder. I also want to be able to load my mp3 player (a recent birthday gift) from my music collection. I’m not interested in a radio function or purchasing music downloads. Anyone have any suggestions besides Music Match which I presently use the basic version. Music Match was recently purchased by Yahoo and from what I hear it’s a real downgrade. Also, I prefer if it were free shareware.
Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. There is one player that I’ve found but as I’m not technical I don’t understand half the bells and whistles. If anyone would know if this would suit my situation you can read about it here - http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?docid=194977.

Also, what is winamp. I know it has something to do with MP3 players but is it also a library? If it has radio can I get am stations too? I like talk radio but don’t always have time to listen to it. I would love to be able to upload programs to listen at my convenience. Thanks for any info.
P.S. This is for my Laptop which has XP OS.

#2 ·
I thought MusicMatch 10 was the best music database software around, but then Yahoo bought it, stopped all support for it and went with their own version. Yahoo keeps saying that it's going to 'combine the best parts of MusicMatch and the Yahoo Music Jukebox', but it's been a couple years now and the product they have now is pretty bad compared to MusicMatch.

A lot of people who had MusicMatch and got fed up with Yahoo have started using MediaMonkey. It's probably the closest thing out there to the old MusicMatch.

Winamp is more like a replacement for WMP, in that it also handles video. If you're interested in online radio then definitely check out Winamp. Try both of them and see which one you like better.

#4 ·
Thanks everyone. Also thanks for the suggestion for media monkey. I'll check out the site. I also wanted to continue to use Music Match but how do I disable the updates? Also, how would I make a copy of the software so that if I inadvertently lost it I would have a copy to replace it? My laptop is a Dell and Music Match was preloaded. Thanks again for all your help.

#6 ·
If you still want to stay with Musicmatch and you need to reinstall you can get some of the install programs here: http://www.oldapps.com/MusicMatch_Jukebox.htm.

To turn off the check for updates go to Options > General tab and uncheck 'Periodically check for updated versions of Musicmatch', although it shouldn't be a problem since there never will be any more updates.

The Musicmatch online store and 'on demand' service will be discontinued after Aug. 31 so make sure if you're going to reinstall do it before then because I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen. I would think that the database part of the program will still function normally, but with Yahoo who knows what they're going to do.

#8 ·
Why on earth don't people realize the potential of Media Player 11.

Firstly Media Player 11 will catalog all your Albums for you & you can search by Year or Part Year, Album Track Album Title, Artist or part name of Artist, Album or Track & it will look up Album details as well.

I have a 60 Gig Creative Zen Xtra Mp3 Player which syncs perfectly with MP 11, you just plug it into a USB 2 (Will work with usb 1 but very slowly) & Media Player 11 Knows exactly what it is & whats on the player.
As a plus it moves music loads quicker than Creative's own software

Did I mention that it does not cost a thing.:up:

#10 ·
#11 ·
Yup... I've been to that site. Never knew about it until Stantley posted. Could be quite handy for special situations.

MM v10 in conjunction with SureThing does it for my needs.

Don't get me wrong... I have played around with MP 11 and am not dis'ing it. Just doesn't ring the bell yet. Depending on what happens with MM/Yahoo, I could be with MP 11 sooner than I think.

My responses in this thread were only to address the original query from anamandy via my personal experiences... much like Stantley posted.

#12 ·
Well now I have another problem. My music library on Music Match diappeared. Any idea how I can recover it?

#13 ·
If you're using version 10 the library is called Default.mdb and it's in here C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Musicmatch\MIM\Database. Local settings is a hidden file so you'll have to check 'show hidden files and folders' in folder options. There's also a backup called Default.mdb.bak.

#14 ·
I keep an old version of Music Match because it is the only thing that will communicate with a very old mp3 player of mine.

Other than that, its Media Monkey all the way!

jimbokb said:
Why on earth don't people realize the potential of Media Player 11.

Firstly Media Player 11 will catalog all your Albums for you & you can search by Year or Part Year, Album Track Album Title, Artist or part name of Artist, Album or Track & it will look up Album details as well.

Did I mention that it does not cost a thing.:up:
The Monkey does all that and more. Plus IMO is a lot less bloated.

#15 ·
I'm using version 9. I have a bigger problem than I thought. My sister used my laptop and somehow gave me some kind of infection. I used Kaspersky Internet Suite and got a message that there was adware which I removed. But my computer is not working properly. When I tried to do a system restore my computer wouldn't allow me to do that. I don't know if it's the anti-virus suite that's preventing me from doing that or some other program.
My system is slow moving no matter what I do to try to correct the problem. I'm at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#16 ·
I think the first thing you should do is get the malware off your system. I see you have a post on Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs. Post a log.

Go to this site http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php?page=download

Click on 'Download HijackThis Installer'.

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop, or to the location where you normally download.
*Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe.
*By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
*Click on Install.
*Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
*Click on the 'Do a system scan and save a logfile button'. It will scan and the log will open in notepad.
*Click Save to save the log file.
*Click on 'Edit > Select All' then click on 'Edit > Copy' (or Ctrl-C) to copy the entire contents of the log.
*Go to your thread in Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs and Paste (Ctrl-V) the log in your next reply.
*DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

#17 ·
I just did that. I'm headed over there right now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.