1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xKira, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xKira

xKira Thread Starter

I recently got a XFX Radeon HD 6850 graphics card, and didn't realize that it's recommended to have at least a 500W power supply, and mine's 300W. Also, the onboard graphics card (Geforce 9400 GT) is taking priority over the PCIe card, even though in BIOS I got PCIe set as primary.

Currently, I have a HP Pavilion p6310y with all stock except a Blu-Ray player/recorder, an extra 2GB RAM (8GB total), and the PCIe card mentioned above (which isn't exactly working at the moment).

I need a recommendation on a good power supply, and possibly a motherboard. If it ain't too much to ask, I could also use a recommendation on a new case too, as with cords and the new graphics card, there's not much room for airflow, and I would possibly get another fan if possible at a later time.

My budget isn't extremely low .. I don't want to spend a few grand though. I just want a decent case (for airflow and additions), power supply, and motherboard. Note that I will be gaming. Also, my monitor is an iZ3D resolution 1680x1050.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edit: I should add that newegg links would be great for a case/psu or whatever.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Once you get into replacing the motherboard and case with an brand name system you should stop and sell the whole computer and start over. Most HP's are poorly suited to gaming and upgrades. Replacing the motherboard also requires that you purchase a new copy of Windows.

If you stick with the HP, here's a good power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

The integrated graphics should be a Geforce 9100, a Geforce 9400GT is a PCI-express graphics card. You would need to enter the setup and change the primary graphics card to PCI-Express from the integrated graphics, if you did that then it should work unless the PSU is the problem. Don't run this with the 300 watt power supply, its not worth risking damage to the system and it may not be enough to even power the card to a point where the system sees it correctly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice