1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need recommendations/comments on laptop for Internet surfing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhannam, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments on my desire to purchase an inexpensive (but decent quality) used laptop to purchase for Web surfing primarily...almost only.

I have an existing desktop connected to a cable modem via a USB connection, but I would greatly appreciate also being able to use a laptop for Web surfing while I'm sitting in my nearby armchair watching TV....okay, I'm a type "A"...so what!?...hah!

I would especially appreciate comments on how inexpensively this can be done, while at the same time trying to acquire a quality viewing screen and reliable (although dated) brand of laptop. Given that my technical knowledge is very limited, I'm assuming that the processor power/speed and RAM amount are only somewhat relevant, but the other components are largely irrelevant for web surfing purposes.

The only other types of info I would appreciate are recommendations on how best to connect this laptop to my cable modem. I'm not sure yet whether it would be more practical to use a (split) wired connection somehow, or would it be necessary to purchase a router and receiver cards for both computers.

I have seen on Ebay that there have been Pentium III, IBM, 14 inch screen laptops, supposedly in good working condition, that have sold (by firms with a very high feedback rating) in the $60-$90 (approx) price range. Would a model such as that be considered recommendable for my purposes, or am I asking for trouble buying a (too) dated laptop? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice