1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dejaun_b, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dejaun_b

dejaun_b Thread Starter

ok i did a registry scan and have 402 problems so i need a registry cleaner for windows xp anyone no where i can get a free one that does not limit the amount i can do

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

No you dont need a registry cleaner
    These so called cleaners can play havoc with your system and leave it damaged.
    The reason it says you have 402 problems is to make you buy it
    My advice .. leave the registry alone.. please or we might see you back here with big problems lol

see here http://forums.techguy.org/security/593106-crappy-regclean-software.html

3. tony007

tony007 Banned

4. tony007

tony007 Banned

Download this and back up your registry first.

5. tony007

tony007 Banned

6. TOYMAN1952

TOYMAN1952

There are always risks with registry cleaners. You should definitely backup your registry, and the suggested software from tony007 is a good one.
    With that precaution in mind I have used Advanced Windows Care with great results. It's freeware and has more than a registry cleaner.
    http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html?Str=download

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

8. tony007

tony007 Banned

I have used registry mechanic for about 8 years and I have never had a problem that it has caused, its the best registry cleaner in the business and whilst some of the others may cause problems this one does not, not to me anyway.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The keywords are
    Just because a Registry Cleaner works in one environment, it does not mean it will work in all environments. To "blindly" recommend one without expounding on the potential dangers, is not good advice.

As well, as pointed out, taking a backup of the registry not a guarantee that you will be able to recover from any damage. Furthur, it may be months before you bump into something that no longer works as a result of something removed. Then, a registry backup is of no use.

Caveat Emptor.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's a sample of one. :rolleyes: Come back when you've tried it on 10,000 configurations, which would be about the minimum for a valid statistical sample of Windows systems.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have to agree with Blackmirror in Post #2 about registry cleaners. For windows they are totally useless since Windows does a great job of keeping its own registry entries in great order. If you really want to straighten the registry just shut down the computer let it sit for a few minutes and then reboot, windows will optimize its entries during bootup.

One other thing how do yo know which of the entries that a registry cleaner finds that are supposedly bad are really bad entries? I guess you'll guess and say all of them are bad basically because you are an expert at reading the registry? SOrt of wrong.

I have never used a registry cleaner on this computer I have and it is 5 years old and runs like a jackrabbit.

12. WhitPhil

Windows 98 performs "some" optimization in the structure of the registry (not the entries themselves), but XP doesn't do any of this.

13. TeeJayP

TeeJayP

I have always thought that no third party registry cleaner should have any advantage over
    Microsoft's registry maintenance, being as it is their software and all. The one time I did use a third party registry cleaner, (a lapse of judgement I guess), it did indeed work fine and everything was good until I had some driver and application issues that required a repair-install. I run a rather involved DAW so driver conflicts and application crashes are are not infrequent. The repair-install failed and I contribute this directly to the registry cleaner I used less than one week prior. The fix was a ground up re-install and although I am well backed up, re-activating my many strictly-license-controlled applications is a time consuming and involved headache I do not enjoy. I will never again use a "registry cleaner".

14. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

It is all about education and thats what we are here for......
    A newbie to pcs worry too much i know i was one

I downloaded and ran everything i could get my hands on to keep my pc running smootly ( so i thought)

In the days of windows 98

I had so many problems and didnt realise what i was doing..

But you learn and by forum like these you pick up information

15. WhitPhil

One of the reasons that these 3rd party apps flourish is because MS does not have any Registry Maintenance utilities. Thus, they prey on the consumer who believes that the "errors" these things report, are really "errors" that will cause their PC grief.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!