need registry cleaner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dejaun_b

ok i did a registry scan and have 402 problems so i need a registry cleaner for windows xp anyone no where i can get a free one that does not limit the amount i can do

tony007

Banned
I have used registry mechanic for about 8 years and I have never had a problem that it has caused, its the best registry cleaner in the business and whilst some of the others may cause problems this one does not, not to me anyway.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The keywords are
tony007 said:
to me anyway.
Just because a Registry Cleaner works in one environment, it does not mean it will work in all environments. To "blindly" recommend one without expounding on the potential dangers, is not good advice.

As well, as pointed out, taking a backup of the registry not a guarantee that you will be able to recover from any damage. Furthur, it may be months before you bump into something that no longer works as a result of something removed. Then, a registry backup is of no use.

Caveat Emptor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
tony007 said:
I have used registry mechanic for about 8 years and I have never had a problem that it has caused, its the best registry cleaner in the business and whilst some of the others may cause problems this one does not, not to me anyway.
That's a sample of one. :rolleyes: Come back when you've tried it on 10,000 configurations, which would be about the minimum for a valid statistical sample of Windows systems.

I have to agree with Blackmirror in Post #2 about registry cleaners. For windows they are totally useless since Windows does a great job of keeping its own registry entries in great order. If you really want to straighten the registry just shut down the computer let it sit for a few minutes and then reboot, windows will optimize its entries during bootup.

One other thing how do yo know which of the entries that a registry cleaner finds that are supposedly bad are really bad entries? I guess you'll guess and say all of them are bad basically because you are an expert at reading the registry? SOrt of wrong.

I have never used a registry cleaner on this computer I have and it is 5 years old and runs like a jackrabbit.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
ozrom1e said:
If you really want to straighten the registry just shut down the computer let it sit for a few minutes and then reboot, windows will optimize its entries during bootup.
Windows 98 performs "some" optimization in the structure of the registry (not the entries themselves), but XP doesn't do any of this.

I have always thought that no third party registry cleaner should have any advantage over
Microsoft's registry maintenance, being as it is their software and all. The one time I did use a third party registry cleaner, (a lapse of judgement I guess), it did indeed work fine and everything was good until I had some driver and application issues that required a repair-install. I run a rather involved DAW so driver conflicts and application crashes are are not infrequent. The repair-install failed and I contribute this directly to the registry cleaner I used less than one week prior. The fix was a ground up re-install and although I am well backed up, re-activating my many strictly-license-controlled applications is a time consuming and involved headache I do not enjoy. I will never again use a "registry cleaner".

It is all about education and thats what we are here for......
A newbie to pcs worry too much i know i was one

I downloaded and ran everything i could get my hands on to keep my pc running smootly ( so i thought)

In the days of windows 98

I had so many problems and didnt realise what i was doing..

But you learn and by forum like these you pick up information

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
TeeJayP said:
I have always thought that no third party registry cleaner should have any advantage over Microsoft's registry maintenance, being as it is their software and all.
One of the reasons that these 3rd party apps flourish is because MS does not have any Registry Maintenance utilities. Thus, they prey on the consumer who believes that the "errors" these things report, are really "errors" that will cause their PC grief.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online