1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need robust image-cataloging software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MatthewHSE, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MatthewHSE

MatthewHSE Thread Starter

Our family has a rapidly-growing collection of digital pictures. It's gotten to the point that simply giving the files descriptive names in a detailed directory structure simply isn't enough to find what we're looking for. So, I'm looking for an image catalog software with the following features:

• Multiple tags or labels per image, e.g., the same image could be tagged as "People," "Matthew," "Vacation" and "2007"
    • Custom tag lists. In other words, the ability to create my own lists of tags to assign to pictures so they don't have to be typed for each picture I tag.
    • Bulk-tagging. Who wants to tag images individually when you know 500 need the same tags? ;)
    • Ability to catalog pictures in specified directories and sub-directories thereof (probably pretty standard).
    • Ability to add captions to pictures, not actually on the image itself but perhaps in the meta data of the image so the caption could be viewed when looking at the image in the catalog program.
    • Search and browse features to find or view pictures with specified tags or in specified locations. (Also probably fairly standard.)
    • It might be nice if the software added tags and other data to the meta data of the picture files themselves, instead of storing the data in an ini file or something like that.
    • Software should keep up with changing file locations or file names so you don't wind up with a mess if someone renames or moves some files through Windows Explorer instead of the catalog software.
    • Light and lean on system resources. I hate these programs that come bundled with all kinds of things to run in the background and add-ons and all that type of thing. I want it to run when I'm running it and not before (or after). And it needs to run reliably, something most bloatware seems to have a terrible time doing.
    • Forward-compatible - in case the software we choose isn't around in the future, we'll want to be able to migrate to something else.

I imagine the most important of these features are pretty standard, *except* the forward-compatibility (and of course the bloatware concerns). All the image-cataloging applications I've seen so far are pretty proprietary; e.g., not a lot of confidence that your photos will still be organized when the software is obsolete and the company is long-gone.

Any ideas for what we could use? We don't mind paying something for a good product, but it would be nice to have a free trial if possible.

Thanks for any recommendations,

Matthew

2. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

3. MatthewHSE

MatthewHSE Thread Starter

I like Picasa too, but I don't like that it stores all its data in .ini files. Editing the actual meta data for the image is more appealing to me. Do you know of any software that does that, but still has a feature set similar to Picasa's?

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice