1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Router Advice for Online Gaming

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dtrulez, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtrulez

dtrulez Thread Starter

I had initially posted my problem and got no response so I figured it something that is rare.

Basically I am trying to figure out how to play online games with both of my PCs in my network.

I talked with the people who host the game "Game Spy" and they told me to open ports and this works. But it only works for one PC. Now I was doing tons and tons of searching online for someone who had my problem and I found a program called DXPort. What I was told that this program allows me to do what im trying to do. Basically by ensuring that each computer recieves the proper packets. It shares the ports ranging from 2300-2400. What im told this does is make sure every computer gets the proper information which in turn allows me to connect with individual computers on my network while still using the same IP address.

The problem is im not sure how to make this program work and I believe its possible to do this without some software program.

If anyone can just give me some insight on what exaclty I should be asking my router manufacturer I would greatly appreciate it.

Cause right now im just trying to understand what I need to be asking so I can get it fixed.
    I have all the ports I need opened at least that is what I believe if ANYONE knows ANYONE that can help me please tell me cause im desperate at this point and im having a headache trying to fix it.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Might help if you tell the game....

3. dtrulez

dtrulez Thread Starter

Im sorry about that I was trying to speak just in generalities because I hardly get any help on that one. The game is Age of Empires 2.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Ahhh I found some help in NWN that would help on that game spefically but nothing I know about AoE.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=387975&forum=56

maybe AOE has some Client line that allows you to do what your trying. GNERALLY speaking though 1 WAn IP = 1 connection and its not usually easy to setup more than 1 computer per LAN to play the same game without a bunch of tweaking (if even that works).

5. dtrulez

dtrulez Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, I once I read on a thread that some guy paid their ISP an extra 5.00 a month to give them two IPs. So im thinking about seeing if I can get something similar to that. The WEIRDEST part about this entire thing, is that one time I actually did it, I played with both PCs online for hours in AOE and it worked without a hitch. Then when it stopped I started tweaking like heck and never again lol.

Can you look at this and tell me if it seems viable:

http://www.puffinsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35

I am trying to see if I can get this program to work, cause it claims to do what im trying to do.

THANKS THANKS AND THAKNS AGAIN for even responding.. this is one of my toughest problems ever.. My toughest was like installing a 20 GB Harddrive on a mother board that only supported like 4 gigs and too make a long story short I learned something at the end. :)

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well it sounds feasible but here is where my questioning is coming in -

Does your Gamespy require directplay network code? If Gamespy has some other communication method you may be barking up the wrong tree. Every time you add a service/connectin into the mix you have to verify the overall data path integrity is there.

All this program looks to do is mutate the ports you use for Directplay network code and make it so you can assign your own ports to something that was hardcoded. thus making it so you can both use different ports andn ot need another IP.

Unforunately I am not an online gamer for the most part so I really can't help on that instance but I can help in informaing you of the pitfalls you may be encounrintering.

I am assuming you can direct lan play with these 2 machines without a hitch and that both of these singly can play online?

2 Ips would be the easiest but they have to be 2 WAN IP's and this then effectivly makes the 2 PC's not networked unless you run some kind of VPN between them.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice