Need Router..but what kind?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jarg1946

My Dad has just acquired a 2008 Toshiba Laptop from my sister. She bought a new Notebook and gave him her Toshiba. She told him to go get a router but now I am the one who is at the store to get a router and I don't know which one to get! There are so many. So...can you tell me which router would be the best for my Dad who is 90 years old and loves to go online to view his DIY network.com projects.
I'm lost, please help. I was at Office Depot.
The Toshiba Laptop uses Windows Vista

etaf

Wayne
it would depend on the service he has at home
does he already have a modem - make and model
is he using ADSL/DSL or cable service
if the modem you have at the moment is also a router

jarg1946

He has DSL with AT&T. Modem is not a router, it's an AT&T Motorola 12VDC modem
Serial # 155557134752
MAC#: 002437ED81A0
STYLE: MSTATEA

etaf

Wayne
theres quite a few routers
should have a model number on the label
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r26917420-What-is-an-MSTATEA-modem-
https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/12966

what type of connection is on the modem - some are just USB connections - what type of connections are there on the PC - a photo would help

can we see an ipconfig /all from the PC he currently has connected to the modem

Its possible, if you talked to the ISP you could get them to change the modem for a wireless/router for free - i dont know how it works in the US _ but in UK , there are quite a few ISP services available, that if you talk to your current ISP retention team and agree to renew the contract if a new router is supplied - or you go else where
Often they want a 18mth contract

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts