1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Router..but what kind?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jarg1946, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jarg1946

jarg1946 Thread Starter

My Dad has just acquired a 2008 Toshiba Laptop from my sister. She bought a new Notebook and gave him her Toshiba. She told him to go get a router but now I am the one who is at the store to get a router and I don't know which one to get! There are so many. So...can you tell me which router would be the best for my Dad who is 90 years old and loves to go online to view his DIY network.com projects.
    I'm lost, please help. I was at Office Depot.
    The Toshiba Laptop uses Windows Vista

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it would depend on the service he has at home
    does he already have a modem - make and model
    is he using ADSL/DSL or cable service
    if the modem you have at the moment is also a router

3. jarg1946

jarg1946 Thread Starter

He has DSL with AT&T. Modem is not a router, it's an AT&T Motorola 12VDC modem
    Serial # 155557134752
    MAC#: 002437ED81A0
    STYLE: MSTATEA

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    theres quite a few routers
    should have a model number on the label
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r26917420-What-is-an-MSTATEA-modem-
    https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/12966

what type of connection is on the modem - some are just USB connections - what type of connections are there on the PC - a photo would help

can we see an ipconfig /all from the PC he currently has connected to the modem

Its possible, if you talked to the ISP you could get them to change the modem for a wireless/router for free - i dont know how it works in the US _ but in UK , there are quite a few ISP services available, that if you talk to your current ISP retention team and agree to renew the contract if a new router is supplied - or you go else where
    Often they want a 18mth contract

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice