1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need security help with web application

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spartacus00, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus00

Spartacus00 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I appreciate any response in advance, as I am having some trouble finding the best way to secure my setup. At one of the businesses I do work for, they have a pretty basic website hosted by their ISP. On the website there is a section where possible clients can fill out a short application form. This form links directly to the company's client management program. We have had this working in the past but it is not very secure and a machine has already been comprimised because of it.

The way it is setup right now is, the second server (not the DC) on the network has two network cards installed. One of the network cards has a public IP address assigned and the firewall has passthrough enabled for that IP address. The other network card is assigned to a LAN address. When you click on the link at the website it directs you to that public IP address,
    EX.... 200.50.40.250/ApplicationFrames.ASP
    (where the applicationframes.asp file is in a wwwroot folder on the server. Which then opens a new page that has the application form and you click submit, which redirects you to another asp file. The communication locally for their client management program is through SQL server, and we just use ODBC entries on the clients with a local install on each pc of the basic program. (tcp/ip or named pipes is used)

So I think that is about it. I just wanted to know if there is a more secure way to have this setup. The secondary server that this was on has already been compromised and barely runs at all right now. I'm not sure what happened to it, but whenever I bring that server back on the network the entire network drags to a halt and it sometimes stops everyone from getting on the internet all together.

If you need any more information, just let me know.
    Thanks again, in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice