1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need SIDToBinary (i.e. from Textual SID) utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Anyone have an executable utility for WinXP that will produce the Binary SID string that is found in the Registry from the textual version of a SID relative to a user account? User account SIDs are usually in the textual form: S-1-5-21-n-n-n-1000 and up, where n-n-n is the machine ID expressed in numeric digits. The BinarySID is a 96-bit binary string split into three parts.

I've seen code for both SIDBinaryToText and SIDTextToBinary at "The Code Project" website (search for SID), but I do not have the Platform SDK necessary to compile the code. Also, at the following link:
    http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/system/security/article.php/c5659/

Anyone with the Platform SDK and the above code is welcome to produce and upload the executable - it will be much appreciated.

-- Tom

2. lotuseclat79

For those interested, I have posted a request for help in the Development forum to compile some uploaded files related to the SID.

Also, there is a detailed explanation of how to generate the Binary SID from the Textual SID.

-- Tom

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

4. lotuseclat79

Hi Brendan,

After looking through the webpage it does look like it will suffice, so I'll have to give it a try. I don't know how I missed it because I searched codeproject for SID. I suppose I must have either shyed away from webpage descriptions with C# or not been paying attention to the description and only processed the library explanation which I may have interpreted as requiring code development.

Thanks,

-- Tom

5. lotuseclat79

Hi Brendan,

Unfortuately, that solution did not work for me with my WinXP Pro SP2 in its current state. Obviously, I have a lot of reinstallation yet to accomplish before that solution will work.

That solution requires the .NET framework of at least v1.1.4322

I suppose that was why I may have been asking for a less dependent solution with the uploaded file in the other thread that requested development help.

-- Tom

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I looked around but I couldn't find what you need. I think I have the same problem as you, don't have what's needed to compile the projects.

7. lotuseclat79

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the effort! (y)

-- Tom

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!