1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need similar program to Kodak EasyShare

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a need for a program similar to Kodak Easy Share. We would use Easy Share; but, it will not install on our system and Kodak cannot help.

For those who might not know, this is a program that is supposed to aid a computer-challenged persion in sizing down a photograph to send as an e-mail attachment.

Suggestions please.

2. slipe

slipe

If you can get the images on your computer without Easy Share there are plenty of freeware programs that will do that for you. I have plenty of hotshot (read expensive) imaging programs, but use Irfanview as my primary viewer and would probably use it to do a simple resize of an image. www.irfanview.com

Since I know you are anything but “computer-challenged” I take it you want it for someone else. Irfanview doesn’t have a specific “save for web” or for e-mail, but it is easy to size a photo. There are choices to make in Irfanview but they aren’t difficult and would likely be a lot better than anything automatic.

For a single image: Image>Resize/Resample. Select 640 X 480 pixels. If you want to mail a smaller image make sure “Preserve aspect ratio” is checked and just type in a width or height. The program defaults to the Lanczos filter, but make sure it is checked as you get much better quality. You only have to check preserve aspect ratio and the filter once and it should stay that way. “Save as” to an e-mail folder and you can attach the images to e-mails. Make sure to not “Save” as that will replace your original image with a smaller one.

You can go File>Thumbnails and make thumbnails of an entire folder. You can hold the Ctrl key while you select the images you want to mail and batch resize just them all at once to an e-mail folder. Once you do that you can open that folder and rotate any that are on their sides – or do that as a batch as well.

You usually e-mail images as JPG. JPEG is the same thing. JPG is also what comes from your camera, so any imaging program will likely default to saving them again as JPG. There are quality selections for compression with JPG files. Irfanview defaults to quality 8 – it is on a 12 scale. You could go as low as 6 and still might get acceptable quality and a smaller file to send. In Irfanview it is under “Options” in your save or save as box.

Here are some simple instructions for a single image: http://www.babiesonline.com/members/irfanview.asp I would learn to use the batch capabilities and do them all at once if you want to send several at once. There might be a simple freeware that has a “save for e-mail” function. You might look at the “export optimizer” in this very nice freeware: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp?ref=&SP=

3. slipe

slipe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice