need software to retrieive deleted documents

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmso

I had 2 shortcuts to My Documents, so I thought I could safely get rid of one--it permanently deleted all of my files instead. The other shortcut can't find anything. What program can I use to get them bacl? I need one that is fairly idiot-proof!

Use the computer with the deleted files as little as possible. Deleted files will get overwritten, the more it is used. Then recovery will be all but impossible.

Download Restoration (save it to a floppy not your hard drive). Run it from the floppy. Read the Readme.txt file. When you open it, make sure it is set to the correct drive (C:\ is default). Click the Search Deleted Files Button. It takes just a little time for that. Then when Do you want to scan vacant clusters? comes up, click Yes. This takes a long time. Don't touch anything until it finishes. Then look for your files among the list. If they don't show up - they are gone.

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

dmso

I found some of the files and restored by copying them, but when I open them the Word files are gibberish--the excel files may be "corrupted"? Should I open them in a different program?

(By the way, that Restoration program is amazing--but I did use my computer a little before trying this--what a rookie mistake).

I believe that is the best you can get. Restoration can only restore what it finds - it won't corrupt the file itself. The file may have been fragmented. It may have gotten cross-linked. Part of it could have been overwritten. Whenever a file gets copied/modified/moved it can overwrite just a small portion of the file you are trying to recover - and that is enough to corrupt it. Just booting up causes some files to be modified, so it doesn't take much. Hard to tell exactly why they won't open. You can try running Restoration a 2nd time and see if you get any better results, slim possibility you might.

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts