1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Solutions for More Wireless Range in Apartment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaStAViC, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

Simply put, I need more wireless range in some parts of my apartment.

My ISP is Comcast, and I have their 20-25Mbps cable service. I am connected through a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. Currently, I am using a Airlink AR430W Super G™ Wireless Router. Everyone in the apartment uses Windows computers.

Unfortunately, half of my apartment barely gets any of the wireless signal, and therefore, has very, very slow connection. Part of the reason is that there are walls between the wireless router and the computers. I would like to state that the connection is very fast when I'm close to the wireless router.

What is the best and cheapest solution so that everyone can get a decent connection and speed? Is there anything I can do at the moment to help boost the signal? I do have another wireless router (it's a Verizon VZ7501ROUT 802.11g Wireless Router), but do not think there's any way to make use of two routers with just one modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Vic

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ethernet cable(s) is the best and cheapest solution. If you can run a cable to a central or distant part of the apartment you can add another wireless access point (for which you can use that other wireless router).

Alternatives, all of which have their drawbacks, include powerline (using the electrical system) adapters, a wireless Repeater (or Range Extender), and a high gain antenna.

3. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! After receiving yours and a bunch of Google searches, I finally found an article that seem useful: Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point

I followed the instructions there, and after a couple hours, I finally got it to work. My old Verizon router is now an access point so that half of my apartment can pick up a wireless signal from it. The only issue right now is that I can't find a way to get the cable to run from my main router to the old router without making the apartment look like it's really cabled (I'm running it directly through the hallway).

If anyone does have better solutions, please let me know! For now, I'll be sticking with this. Thanks again!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Cable whose color matches the background isn't too noticeable when run along corners (e.g, wall and floor or wall and ceiling). Can be held in place with poster putty or the 3M picture hanging tape that releases from the wall w/o making a mess.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice